Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Took off the training wheels...

Old 12-01-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Took off the training wheels...

Well, it' s official. Although I' ll be keeping my compounds, I have got myself a recurve and am going back traditional for a while at least. My new (used) PSE Black Hawk T/D recurve came in today and I can' t wait to get some arrows fletched up and try her out!

Been quite a while since I shot something other than a compound. Nobody knew what a fast-flight string was in those days! Sure seems to be a lot harder to string this 60# pull than I remember my old Bear was. Guess I' m going to have to get myself a stringer. Took my very first deer with that old bow almost 30 years ago. Sure wish I had kept it, but that' s youth for you. Swapped it to a .22 pistol.

I have often wondered if it' s still shooting or if it' s been neglected and got warped and twisted or broken like seems to happen to so many good old bows when they fall into the hands of folks that lose interest and don' t take care of them.

I think I' m going to go with wood arrows. I have a good fletching jig and have been doing my own aluminum arrows for many years, but what other tools will I need for wood? I know I will have to have something to taper the shafts for nocks and heads. Could someone suggest a good source for the tools and materials I will need?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tracy
Old 12-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Took off the training wheels...

I would recomend aluminum on that bow but I shoot wooden arrow from my longbow myself.
What you really need are good strait arrows, whatever material they are made of.
I straiten my wooden arrow on a Arten straitner bewfore I give them a finish and also every time before i go use them.
Be carefull with the wood nervs (glue the nocks in a 90 degree angle on the nervs)

Maybe a idea where to get them:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/

But i guess there will other places to.

Good luck and muchos fun!