Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

trad bow hunting

Old 11-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: trad bow hunting

eightwgt, no need to be mixed up.

I' ve been a switch hitter for more than 20 years now. I' ve even been an amateur staff shooter for one of the big companies (for whatever THAT' S worth LOL ). But my experiences with both compounds and traditional have given me a good bit of insight into the differences in mindset between the two styles.

Certainly I have the same ethics and values no matter what kind of bow I' m shooting. But there is a totally different mental process involved when shooting a compound vs a traditional bow. When I' ve got the release, sights, super-tricked out rest and all that, I get annoyed and frustrated if I don' t hit EXACTLY in the spot I aim at. There is less personal satisfaction involved. I know it is ME doing the shooting, but I' m at the mercy of the equipment. When things aren' t going right, is it because I am shooting bad or did the sight pin, peep or rest get bumped and moved? Did a cable or the string creep out of adjustment? Too many things to go wrong to figure out where the problem is without going through a complete system analysis.

With a traditional bow, it' s no problem to locate the cause of bad shooting. I check the brace height and nockset location. If those two things are right, then I know it' s me. Quick, simple and painless. If the bow is right, I get the credit for shooting good. And I get all the blame for shooting poorly. Believe me, after nearly 50 years of shooting, I still have plenty of bad shots left in me.

Frankly, the further down the high tech/high performance road compounds go, the more complicated they get, and the more frustrating they are. So, that' s all the more reason for me to be repelled by them, and all the more reason to love my sticks even more.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:14 AM

You could visit your local archery range and see if they have recurves/longbows in stock. Shoot ' em and learn the feel. Also, there are many reasonably priced used bows on Ebay if you want to be conservative re: money spent to get yourself a starter bow and the feel for it. I' m sure many ppl on this forum would be happy to check a posted link and give their opinions.

(by Arthur P) With a traditional bow, it' s no problem to locate the cause of bad shooting.
I remember some of the reasons for my switch to a more simplistic and enjoyable way of hunting, many moons ago. The time I used the wrong pin and shot 3 feet OVER a deer' s back! The time it was starting to rain/sleet and as I was drawing back on a buck, the arrow raked across the bumply/frozen arrow rest and FELL OFF! The time I drew on a deer from the ground at the unbelievable distance of 15 feet and had no clue how to AIM! []

Of course, these miscues were caused by human error at some degree and could have been corrected with a few adjustments in equipment and/or execution. But alas, I chose to make adjustments based on the fundamental loosing of an arrow by the use of my God-given talent... by pointing and shooting!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:27 PM

I heard that.

I think the attitude as it were depends a lot on emphasizing the archer and the shooting more than the tackle although some will dote on this or that bowyer or whatever as if it really did make a whole lot of difference.

Certainly there' s good and bad bows and maybe even a bunch of so-so ones but I doubt there' s a one of them that can compensate for poor technique, so that' s why a traditional attitude emphasizes the archer' s skill or ought to.

When my older cousin saw a compound hanging on my wall the one season I flirted with it, he wasn' t impressed. Picked up my old Yukon and said, " This is a bow. You don' t need to mess with that other thing."

And he was right you know? I didn' t need to mess with it.

It had the springy rest and the adjustable plunger and the peep sight and the special nock locator so I could use the peep sight and on and on. And it weighed as much as a .30-30 to carry in the field and didn' t have even close to .30-30 potential. And when carrying it during a hunt, I never quite convinced myself I was ready. So after that one season, I let it find a new owner.

Glad I did. Tinkering has never really appealed to me very much but shooting a bow sure has and does. I' m also glad to see others get over the gadget bug and join the people who like to shoot bows and arrows. Welcome!!
Old 12-02-2003, 06:50 AM

After reading all the above garbage I wonder how the American indian ever servived. I thought archery was to have fun!! [:-]
Old 12-02-2003, 07:15 AM

(by Silent String)I wonder how the American indian ever servived
By using a stick, string and arrow.
Garbage, marmage, whatever.... I' m having fun!

EDIT - Oops, sorry Silent String... ("I see", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer & saw).

Wondering how they ever survived WITHOUT all the forum foray of technical discussions re: brace heigth, draw weight, limb construction, arrow material, release methods, etc. etc. etc. ..... Trial and error until they got it right, I guess... now THAT is fun and an essential part of learning.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I've been bowhunting for over 42 yearsI started with a Browning Nomad Stalker 60# at 14,At 30 I tryed a compound bow and loved the speed and accuracy.In my mind I kept on being traditional even with a modern bow,Got stolen my browning 10 years ago.Where I live there is no trad store and no more bow retailers.Last week I trade my compound bow for a trad one .So I should be called bibowex(bisexual on bow).I love hunting and respect nature it is like a religion its a way of living.

JUst wanted to put you at ease.

Taureau noir
Old 12-03-2003, 08:26 AM

When I 1st read this Forum name, I thought you were a bunch of guys running around in deer-skins and headbands, shooting with homemade bows, using guts for strings and firing crooked arrows.

Glad I found you.
I have only owned a recurve. Not had it long at that.
I had made considerations towards compounds, but I am just a simple guy and like simple ways.
I looked into every kind of bow, technology and all, and something just kept appealing to me about the look and feel of a recurve. (Don't get me wrong, it has fibreglass reinforced limbs.)

I figure this. If you want to call it a mind set, then that is what it is.

If they did it for centuries with just simply a man, his bow, and the game; then why can't I.

I am glad I am here.
Bless you all.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:48 PM

Why not indeed?

Exponents of the modern mechanical tackle will frequently tell you you can't take game with anything less than a mechanical bow flinging arrows at at least 230 fps with all the associated gadgetry. That is unadulterated horse manure, self-serving commercial baloney or the pious parroting of the same.

The human body and its skills are wonderous to behold in their precision. The bow is nothing more than an augmentation of those things. Just remember, whatever's wrong is probably not the bow and whatever's right is you.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:28 PM

If you want the best recurve money can buy go to the SILVERTIP website, Dave and Beth windauer are second to none in the bizz ! i own 5 silvertips !
Old 12-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

TO put it simply,we are all bowhunter with differents modern technology bows.A trad hunter would have to hunt with bows made like 200years ago with sinew and one piece of wood for bow.Now we have modern glues,fiberglass,carbon,lamination,etc. So we have to unite to face anti's attack .We don't have to tear eachother apart.WE are all in the same sport to have fun.
Taureau noir[8D]

Quick Reply: trad bow hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.