Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Losing Broadheads

Old 02-02-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Losing Broadheads

Anyone having trouble with hot melt glue on Wenzel woodsmans? I followed my normal procedure and glued them on adapters for aluminum arrows. I did the whole nine yards; acetone, sandpaper,etc. I shot them down at my club and 2 of my arrows lost the broadheads in the target. Both left the glue on the broadhead adapter. I have had this happen on woodies in very cold weather (like today) but I always thought that it was because of the swelling of the wood. Help anyone? Epoxy? Dick
Old 02-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Losing Broadheads

in the cold weather my ferrel l tite gets brittle, try regular glue gun sticks! It stays more pliable in the cold weather....works for me at -20+!
Old 02-03-2002, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Are you dipping shafts in Bohnnings or the poly stuff? My big problem is it gets so cold my shafts shatter when shooting into wood that has turned rock hard from the cold. There may also be oil in the broadheads from machining or packing as a wild guess.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Question:
When You dig the WWs out of the target, are the tips curled over? I really liked the way they fly, but ALL of mine ended with curled over or broken tips. I quit using them.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

John, I am thinking about getting some WW's for an upcoming bear hunt. Sounds like you wouldn't recommend them, so maybe I should reconsider. Did you file the "needle point" down any?
Old 02-03-2002, 09:14 AM
Spike

I read somewhere that they were going to start making WW with a stronger tip. Diamond tip, I think they called it. I filed the tips on mine down and have shot them into everything but solid rock with no problem or bending. Just a resharpen and they are ready to go. Check with Magnus about the new tip design.

Strutter
Old 02-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seal my shafts with gasket lacquer and take the time to clean out and score the inside of my points. One hasnt pulled out on me in awhile now. I stopped shooting at frozen targets when I started breaking arrows trying to get them out. If we left them, they got stolen! I have a big ole block of foam in the back of my truck I can shoot at in the winter, either that or I shoot indoors or in the house! Shooting outside is fun to a certian degree at -20 but loosing, breaking, and bending my arrows all to heck isnt!