Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Going to make some arrows for myself.

Old 02-01-2002, 07:27 PM

Default Going to make some arrows for myself.

I decided to make myself a set of cedar arrows. Its winter and I think it will make a good project. I have built aluminum arrows in the past so I know the basics of fletching and so on but I am still confused about a few things.
I am inserting a picture from stickbow.com in order to make the questions easier to understand.
I understand that I will want to stain the shafts. I assume it should be the entire shaft. I then want to apply some type of sealer 2 coats. I am then going to try and crest them and this is where things get scary. In that picture the top arrow has red on it. Was this all done with cresting paint?
I am doing this on a budget money is tight around here right now so what paints and finishes would be a good choice that wont break the bank? Also I wanted to use turkey feathers but how do I get the red or white feather to splice into it?
I know these seem like silly questions but if I don’t ask I wont learn.

Edited by - One Eye on 02/01/2002 20:40:47
Old 02-01-2002, 07:33 PM

Default RE: Going to make some arrows for myself.

If you look thru some older topics on this forum you will find lots of info on building arrows.

Dianna
Old 02-01-2002, 08:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Gonna' have a lot of fun One Eye! One of the great things about wood arrows is you don't have to spend a fortune to get umpteen different colors. As Di said, it has been discussed at length here, but I will give some basic answers to your questions.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I understand that I will want to stain the shafts. I assume it should be the entire shaft. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Well, if you want the entire shaft that color stain the whole thing. If you want a cap (like the red in the picture), use a different stain or paint on that part.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> In that picture the top arrow has red on it. Was this all done with cresting paint?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Nope--that is called a cap dip. For aluminum or carbon, you would have to buy a separate paint and dip tube to do this. With wood, you can use the cheap water-based cream paint from Wal-Mart (Apple Barrel is the brand at the local W-M here). Just apply it with a damp sponge. A light coat will let the wood grain show through, extra coats will be darker/brighter (don't panic when it doesn't look too spiffy right after you do it--will look much better after you put the sealer on it).

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> In that picture the top arrow has red on it. Was this all done with cresting paint?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

The gaquet laquer system is the best I have used. Not that cheap starting out, but once you make the initial purchase you will have enough to do a whole lot of arrows, and it will still be a lot cheaper than using Bohnning products--don't stink nearly as bad either.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Also I wanted to use turkey feathers but how do I get the red or white feather to splice into it?
I know these seem like silly questions but if I don’t ask I wont learn. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I don't have that much experience with splicing. The few I have done looked good, but it was a real pain and took forever. I believe Pat Daily, Arrowsmit, or Littlehunter can give much better advice here than I ever could.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 02-02-2002, 12:01 AM

One Eye, welcome to the land of arrow making. You're in for an interesting journey!

For your staining you can also use Rit dye mixed with denatured alcohol. There should be lots of info on that process in the archives. I use Rit and aniline dyes on all the arrows I make and they look great (if I do say so myself ). I don't use it but that Apple Barrel paint is great stuff for cresting. Cheap, too... local craft shop here just had similiar paint on sale for $.50 a bottle.

Sounds like you want to use a spliced feather but you might be able to save money or frustration by passing on the splice for the first set or two.

Keep posting your questions here and we'll do our best on getting you together with a set of great arrows that you'll be proud of.

Guy
Old 02-02-2002, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure if you know of Fred Asbell but his first book has some arra building info in there. THat or there is a few other books around, traditional bowyers bibles, Sam Fadala's book, I have one more and cant remember the title. Also Paul Brunner has a video out, 3 rivers also sells an arrow building video. Not trying to take away from but its easier to follow along with a proven method then try and explain over the computer with limited visuals and still grasp everything that happens. One thing to remember though, no matter what paint, stains, and sealer you use, make sure to let it cure! It will save you a ton of headaches and frustration down the road.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have another question. When buying a fletching jig it asks for left right or straight. I want to do Heli fleching so I assume I need right or left. If I buy left will it mater weather or not I am using left or right wing fethers? Im looking into buying the J8 Fletcher by martin. Any reason I shouldn't?

Old 02-02-2002, 09:15 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't have any experience with that particular fletcher. I use Bitzenburger's, and have heard a lot of good things about the BPE. You will have to use left wing feathers with a left helical clamp, and vice-versa. If you try to use the opposites, it will go against the natural curve of the feather. Check out the fletcher--that is one of those things that it doesn't pay to scrimp on.

Chad
Old 02-02-2002, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

yup I have 3 of those J-8's and I think they are junk LOL! If you dont want to go bitz pick up the BPE Pros!!! I agree with LBR though, I wish I would have spent my money on bitz's! I have played with the multi jo jans and really dont like them. The tolerances from one side to the other was really bad, being the feathers werent in the same spot on arrow 1 as it was on arrow 6. It might be the best of both worlds though if you dont mind to much as it is pretty close and the cost for 6 is much better then any of the singles on the market. I havent had the chance to use the BPE pro's but I have looked at them and I am excited to give them a try. Time and money are the only things holding me back.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

I am very happy with my Arizona EZ fletch. Puts 3 feathers on at a time, and is easy to use. Not too exspensive.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I am not to fond of the Arizona EZ fletch myself. I use the Bitz myself and also have a Grayling that also works well at 29 bucks. But the Bitz is the best of all of them to get. I buy one a year and can do five arrows at a time now and I think it is money well spent as it does a great job.

Quick Reply: Going to make some arrows for myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.