Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Problem Solved?????

Old 09-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default Problem Solved?????

I think I am close to figuring out the problem with arrow flight. I bought a 1/2 dozen carbons the other day, with the uni-nock type nocks. I was playing around for the last 2 days, and I think I found alot of the problem. I think the feathers were hitting the rest, and throwing me off. After much tinkering, I found the position that the cock feather needs to be in, to get good arrow flight. I just sunk my last 12 arrows into the bullseye at 25 yards. I guess if I am gonna use woodies this season, I better get busy and get some made up with the cock feather in the same position as they are on the carbons. Does this sound like it may have been the problem? Anyone else have to learn everything the hard way?[:' (]
Old 09-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Problem Solved?????

Feathers will lie down as they contact the rest, but only to a point. If the arrow is too close it will effect flight. Shoot bare shafts and see if they straighten out and are tuned well. Then you might trim down the feathers just a tad with some scissors so eliminate the contact. Carbons seem to be notorious for better flight and resulting better accuracy, so if you sank 12 into the bull with them don' t hesitate to use them for hunting. Especially if you don' t get the woodies figured out. I love shooting and hunting with woodies, but if came down to it I wouldn' t have any qualms about shootin those toothpicks they call arrows

Brandan
Old 09-14-2003, 12:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

What Brandan said--as much as I love wooden arrows, I wouldn' t dare take them on a hunt if I was having problems or didn' t feel confident with them. Remember, archery is 90% (or more) mental, and if you are having doubts at the moment of truth it will most likely bite you in the butt.

Chad
Old 09-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

I just took the broadheads for a test drive. They fly perfectly. I am pumped now. Now all I have to do is replace the feathers I sliced off with the broadheads, and the 2 broadheads that blew through the target, and broke upon impacting the swingset. [:' (][:' (] I guess I' ll test out that " unconditional" guarantee that Magnus has.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Kip, I' d be willing to bet that it' s the feather quill that' s causing you trouble. Since you know the feather orientation that your setup likes, it should be simple enuff to reproduce it w/wood. Don' t forget about indexing the wood grain tho. Just for kicks, try turning one of your wood arrows upside down (cockfeather IN) & try it...

Happy Huntn'

VicW.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Arrowsmit, I just took your advice. I went out with the woodies that were giving me troubles, and shot them cock feather in. I am impressed, they flew great. They came off the bow smooth, no tail whip, and hit where I was aiming. You can bet before I make any more arrows, I' ll find the perfect arrangement for the feathers. Thanks, you saved me lots of headaches.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Kewl Kip, glad you got it working for ya.
(c:

Happy Huntn'
VicW.