Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Chek-Mate Bow Blanks

Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Spike

Default Chek-Mate Bow Blanks

I was lucky enough to receive the first ever bow blank from Marc at Chek-mate to complete.
It is the new Beaver Creek Model.

It was a lot of fun making it and it turned out great.

Here is the review I did on it.
http://peteward.com/2010pages/test.chekmate.blank.html
or go to my home page www.peteward.com and click the trad reviews.

Last edited by petew; 05-09-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:52 AM
bigcountry

Wow, thats cool that he is selling blanks. I might have to look into that.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Wow, thats cool that he is selling blanks. I might have to look into that.
Don't you have enough ? LOL

I should talk, huh ?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
Don't you have enough ? LOL

I should talk, huh ?
I got about 20 hickory staves, 20 black locust staves, 5 good osage staves, 2 good osage slats, a bunch of IPE slats, 5 bamboo strips, a few hickory strips, bunch of apple staves, but not sure thats going to work out, 2 white ash blanks. And lastly a 2 piece take down yew ELB in the works.

But no fiberglass deals. I do have a heat box (thanks to Russ with all his bow building). So I am ready. Figured I better use up some stuff before jumping into the fiberglass game.

Man, I got a problem.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Spike

You have no Idea how lucky you are to have all those staves. It is impossible to get staves in Alberta.

Pete
Old 05-10-2010, 06:18 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by petew
You have no Idea how lucky you are to have all those staves. It is impossible to get staves in Alberta.

Pete
You got Yew wood in BC. I would love to have some yew and juniper, but don't want to pay 200 dollars for a stave on ebay.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow, everyone is getting into bow blanks. Maybe I need to quit makeing whole bows and start making blanks. Might be a good source of cash.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by petew

Pete
Like Mark said, you have the best wood around. Yew. I am in the process of trying to exchange some osage, Hackberry, and deer sinew with a gay from B.C. for yew. The shipping is still going to cost an arm and a leg.

Just go out and cut some yew, seal it, and within a year you will have the best staves you can get.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Mark, you can get great Juniper her in the lower. Ive got moutain juniper all over my land. I have yet to use it for anything but lams. Once i get this mess of osage and hackberry used up, I think im going to cut some juniper.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Like Mark said, you have the best wood around. Yew. I am in the process of trying to exchange some osage, Hackberry, and deer sinew with a gay from B.C. for yew. The shipping is still going to cost an arm and a leg.

Just go out and cut some yew, seal it, and within a year you will have the best staves you can get.
You got to be careful of those "gay from B.C.". You never know what they want in trade. Especially when dealing with wood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.