Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Any Tournament Shooters?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Any Tournament Shooters?

Normally I'd be making the rounds, but I'm in FL helping care for my terminally ill mother in law. This will be the first time I've missed the TN Classic since I started going, several years ago. I might be able to make the Jerry Pierce, Catch a Dream, Howard Hill, and maybe a few others--just depends.

Anyone else shooting? I'd like to hear some reports, since I can't be there myself.

Chad
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LBR
Normally I'd be making the rounds, but I'm in FL helping care for my terminally ill mother in law. This will be the first time I've missed the TN Classic since I started going, several years ago. I might be able to make the Jerry Pierce, Catch a Dream, Howard Hill, and maybe a few others--just depends.

Anyone else shooting? I'd like to hear some reports, since I can't be there myself.

Chad
Going to the balt classic in two weeks. Hope to see Jim Pic there, bunch more tradgangers. I never have competed with archery. Something about it brings out the worst in me. I usually take all hobbies too far.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never competed for prize except in the winter DART league. I go to about 8 or so trad-only shoots a year and really just have alot of fun with it. I'm taking my gf and her 4yr old grandson to their 1st shoot tomorrow and Baltimore is just a couple weeks away(one of my favorite shoots). I'll be seeing ya there Mark...maybe shoot a course or 2. Bring that Zipper along. I'm really interested to see those overlays
Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Tournaments like the TN Classic, Howard Hill, etc. ain't about competeing--not for me anyway. I've gotten lucky here and there, but the reason for going is the socializing, commraderie (sp?), checking out vendors...just plain having fun! I still compete--I like to see how I stack up--but if it ever were to spoil my fun, I'd shoot a fun round or not keep score at all.

I met all 4 of my best friends through archery--three of them I met at tournaments--and I've made gobs more friends and met all kinds of good folks at them.

Chad
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
bigcountry

Wish I could approach competitions as just fun like that. But I usually go overboard and do whatever I can to win. Just my character I guess. Puts a lot of pressure on a fella.

I know in the big scheme in life, it really doesn't mean much. But its hard for a zebra to change his stripes.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Today I took my gf and her 4yr old grandson(they live with me) to a local trad shoot. I had a blast just watching them shoot and seeing them get excited when they put a good shot on. I'm going back on Sat. to shoot with "the boys"
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Jim, THAT is what it's all about!

BC, honestly I used to get tied up in a knot about scoring. Not really winning, just trying not to embarrass myself. I found out the less I worry about score, the better I shoot and the more fun I have.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great pics Jim!!!

I compete with myself allot. I only get to one traditional shoot a year here In Minnesota. Been going for 5 years straight now and last year was my best ever score and finish. They have a recurve class, longbow class, primitive class. Usually about 700 shooters make the shoot each year. Last year I placed In the top 10 In the recurve class. This year I'd love to shoot as good as I did last year but the chances of that happening aren't very good. This spring I haven't hardly shot at all. I've been way too busy to even get the energy up to go out and do some practicing, I really miss It. Fathers Day weekend Is this shoot, we'll see how It goes.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cute Kid, teaching him well.