Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

This sounds crazy (arrows)

Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

2314's for my 55lber, BC you want pix of that too?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Risasi
2314's for my 55lber, BC you want pix of that too?
Is that right? Your shooting a .39" spine for a 55lb trad bow???? Well your special, thats the stiffest spine I seen used for a trad bow of 55lbs. Most normal folk use a 2018, possible 2020. I used a simular spine 2216 for my 66lb black widow with 190gr point.

Don't worry, you removed all doubt for us all with that statement.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Really It's no surprise to me with the length of your arrows. The only thing I wouldn't like as much would be the lack of grains In the arrow (not allot of pack to the punch). None the less though you know your stuff.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I remember going from cedar arrows to aluminum and I thought "This ain't being traditional but damn, these alum arrows can shoot." Now I'm going farther into 'the dark side' by shooting carbon arrows. Hey, what the heck, its all fun, and if it works, so much the better.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Well I remember going from cedar arrows to aluminum and I thought "This ain't being traditional...
I quit worrying about what's "traditional" a long time ago. I use what works best for me, just like everyone else did before me. If "traditional" means using the original equipment, I don't know of anyone that does it. That would be wood bows backed with natural materials (rawhide, sinew, hair, etc--if they were backed at all), natural strings (plant fiber, sinew, hide, etc.), natural shafting (cane, rose, etc.), natural points (bone, flint, etc.)--the list goes on. Since I shoot a "modern" longbow made with high-tech machinery, utilizing fiberglass and phenolic in the build, and sporting a string made from some of the most modern man-made fibers on the planet, I don't think wood arrows make me traditional in the strict sense of the word (although I do shoot wood, due to tournament rules).

As for the rest, I agree for the most part. Cutting the arrows short makes them act a lot stiffer, and the Easton chart is generally way off base for trad bows.

Chad