Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

[Deleted]

Old 06-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pearson Colt

Production dates for the Colt were 1959-1973(I believe).The early Colts had semi-working recurve limbs and the later ones were full-working limbs.If your bow has white glass,it' s probably under 40#--black glass is 40-45#.Monetary value?-probably not worth a heckuva lot.I have an old Bear(about 35yrs old)that has some spider webbing and I shoot it occassionally but without seeing the actual condition of yours,it' s hard to say if it' s safe.Nice looking bows,though.Sorry I couldn' t help out more.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 AM

If the spider-webbing is in the finish (and it PROBABLY is), then it would still be safe to shoot. I can' t guarantee it, either, because of course, I haven' t seen the bow. If it has fully working limbs it' s one of the later models, as mentioned by Jim. I think the Colt was and is one of the best bows in it' s class. But it' s class isn' t anywhere near top shelf. Colts in superb condition and in the 50 pound hunting weight class sell for 60 to 70 dollars, which is on the lower end of the used bow market. It is, however, one of the best buys at that price I think and should give you solid performance if the limbs aren' t damaged.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-11-2003, 01:03 PM

an " XX" on the weight marking of a Pearson bow, according to what I' ve read, means that it didn' t make weight. Although I have to wonder about that in this case since it' s marked 48@28. Not making weight seems to make more sense as an explanation bow marked at even poundage --- e.g. xx45@28 (meaning it was a few pounds more or less than 45). Any way it goes, if you like it, it could be a good deerslayer for you.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:41 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

As I remember, an x before the weight signifies 1 pound less than marked (two xx' s, 2 pounds, etc.) and an x after the weight signifies 1 pound over. I' ve never seen or heard of fiberglass " webbing" , so it is probably in the finish, but be sure to have someone knowledgeable check it out just in case.

I like the old Pearson bows, and the Colt is no exception. Mostly overlooked by collectors for some reason--maybe because they were mass produced? Still, should be a good bow if it' s not damaged, and plenty for whitetail.

Chad
Old 06-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is testing my memory a bit, but I think LBR is correct. The X' s mean pounds and they put them either before or after the draw weight to show which way they run, light or heavy. Usually they marked even 5 pound increments and then the X' s. Like 50xx would be 52 pounds and xx50 would be 48. 45x would be 46 and x45 would be 44. Why they didn' t just mark your bow as 50 pounds without the X' s is beyond me.

I' ve got a Colt that' s marked 50xx, drawing it to 32" and hitting 66 pounds, with some stack. Too heavy for me to shoot very consistently, so I just shoot it for strength conditioning. Sure makes my 55 pounders easy to handle.