Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Anyone in NC, making their own bows?

Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone in NC, making their own bows?

I've really wanted to make a bow for a long time. I'll be the first to tell you, if it aint got wires and electrical components, I'm screwed. So I'm wondering if there is anyone who enjoys doing this stuff on the weekend, willing to lend a little bit of their time, guidence and assistance on this?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
bigcountry

Wish you lived closer, I would put you track. Best I can anyway.

There's a guy in NC who is one of the bowyer's I know. His name is Pat Brennan, I think. He lives in Brevard, NC.

He hangs out on tradgang.com and primitivearcher.com in the bow building section.

About one the most helpful guys I know besides our own Russ Barber.

What kinda bow you looking to produce? Selfbow (one piece all wood), or laminated, etc.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks BC. Right now I'm thinking of a Selfbow.

I'll check out those sites.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

About one the most helpful guys I know besides our own Russ Barber.
That name rings a bell

But sorry FM I can't help you with a self bow maybe Kent (Burniegoeasy) can chime in.

Just ask questions on here or over on Tradgang you'll be bound to get answers.

You can also find a ton of info on Sam Harpers site.
http://poorfolkbows.com/

Last edited by Kanga; 12-20-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks guys. I think you've got me headed in the right direction. I'm looking forward to this project.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Pat is a good guy, and a dang good selfbowyer.

If you can swing it, plan for the TN Classic at Twin Oaks near Clarkesville, TN (Pat usually comes--maybe you can split the ride?).

Besides being one of the best traditional tournaments ever, one of the things they do is have a selfbow clinic going on all weekend--it actually starts several days before the tournament. Everything you need is there, including staves (for sale). All the equipment and advice is free to use. Along with Pat there's usually several very accomplished selfbowyers there, including Gary Davis of Rattlestick bows and the owner of the property Mark "Pappy" Bagget. Mark has had several bows featured in Primitive Archer magazine. Well worth the trip, just for the bows--besides great people and a great time to be had. Shooting the course isn't required, but it is reccomended (you don't have to score if you don't want). Also lots of great vendors there. It's the first weekend in May--I'll be posting when it gets closer.

Chad
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
bigcountry

Excellent advise. This is also the advise I recommend. Making an osage selfbow has been one of the hardest things I have done. Its little tiny mistakes that turn the bow into a childrens bow. I want to come to this also.

Originally Posted by LBR
Pat is a good guy, and a dang good selfbowyer.

If you can swing it, plan for the TN Classic at Twin Oaks near Clarkesville, TN (Pat usually comes--maybe you can split the ride?).

Besides being one of the best traditional tournaments ever, one of the things they do is have a selfbow clinic going on all weekend--it actually starts several days before the tournament. Everything you need is there, including staves (for sale). All the equipment and advice is free to use. Along with Pat there's usually several very accomplished selfbowyers there, including Gary Davis of Rattlestick bows and the owner of the property Mark "Pappy" Bagget. Mark has had several bows featured in Primitive Archer magazine. Well worth the trip, just for the bows--besides great people and a great time to be had. Shooting the course isn't required, but it is reccomended (you don't have to score if you don't want). Also lots of great vendors there. It's the first weekend in May--I'll be posting when it gets closer.

Chad

Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Great, I know where Clarksville, TN i. I use to cover that area for sales way back when. Believe it or not, It's about the same distance from my house to there as it is to Pat's. Thanks, putting it on the calendar.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:12 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You won't be sorry! I forgot to mention that a lot of the club membes are selfbowyers also. Gary usually brings lots of staves, from the easier, straighter "beginner" staves to the tougher "character" staves. Mark usually has some cut off the property also--prices range from cheap to not so cheap, depending on the stave.

If at all possible, I'd get there early--like Tuesday or Wednesday if you can swing it. By Friday/Sat the place is swamped, and it's harder to get a spot at a vice, or in the hotbox, or get as much one-on-one help. Every year there are even kids that make a bow. Even I made one year before last (with a lot of adult supervision). If you want, you can compete in the "Selfbow Challenge"--a separate competition where you compete with the bow you made that weekend. I lucked out and won it with the first (and so far only) bow I made--that one is probably my favorite trophy.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I lucked out and won it with the first (and so far only) bow I made--that one is probably my favorite trophy.
Chad.

Congrats on the win and your right there is nothing like making a bow or even a fly then going out and taking something with it.
It makes it just that much more special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.