Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

More Firewood.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default More Firewood.

Was talking with my neighbor yesterday afternoon and showed her the riser I had shaped out of a chunk of firewood.

She was impressed as she always is in my bows, anyway she has a big pile of firewood in her yard from a tree she had cut down last year and asked if I would cut a piece up to see what it looked like of course I said Hell YES

I after picking through the pile I got a log about 24" long and 6" in diameter took it into the shop and started cutting and sanding.

After an hour or so here is what I ended up with.

There is still some worm holes but they will be removed on shaping.

After taking it over to show her not only did she say "WOW I would never had guessed" but she also said I could have as much of it as I liked ain't it good to have good neighbors

The wood is still to green as far as moisture content goes around 22% but I will be picking through the pile getting some and putting in the attic of the shop to dry out

Oh the wood is Mulberry.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some of that osage I got from ya, we pretty wet too... I'm going to let it dry out a bit.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

This riser going to put another knot on your head Russ? What happens if they are not dry enough?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

What happens if they are not dry enough?
Then they stay unfinished until they are dry enough

I keep checking them with the moisture meter every couple of weeks and when the moisture content drops to 10% or below I will finish them.

Apart from that I will just keep making risers sealing up the ends and putting into the loft of the shop.

It's not like I have a job to go to anymore
Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess building risers is better than what I am doing....on vacation and going mad with too much free time!Wish I was closer I would come help to fill my time,guess finishing a book I've been working on reading is in my future...that and go shoot bow at times.