Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Lilhunter

Old 05-19-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Lilhunter

Hey did Steve end up going alone on his bear hunt?

I was reading some post' s a while back and the never ending broadhead debate came up, What you using these days? How did that elk hunt go last year? Steve said you got a good tag, but never told me the outcome.

Chad

Old 05-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lilhunter

Chad,

Yes Steve went chasing the big bears alone. I couldnt make the trip, to many things happening at once. I sure would have liked to though. He should be back soon.

I am using the same broadheads I started with 13 yrs ago, a zwickey eskimo 2 blade. Hard to beat something that has stood the test of time and hasnt failed me yet!

The elk hunt was a blast. Saw some huge bulls. One camp pulled out a 360 class bull to give you some reference to the size bulls we were seeing. Saw atleast 6 that size or slightly bigger and one HUUUGE 7x. Passed on some smaller bulls and learned how over rated elk hunting was [>:]. Its a hoot, but their is better! I' ll do it again someday, didnt even put in for the tag for this fall. The " cowboy" s ruined it for the immediate area we were hunting and the wilderness laws of WY is a JOKE! Dunno if I' ll put in for that tag or not as I got pointed into another even better area....we' ll see. Our pard in Wy is going after his outfitters lisc. If that happens I will definatly go back and hunt with him! And I' ll tell ya, we' ll kill big bulls. We roamed around the wilderness areas for fun during mid day, saw some monsters in their, they' d start bugling again shortly after lunch (1pm) and not stop till dark! Go figure eh. Saw some bighorns and a grizz, had some great fishing too.

One question though, have we met or r u a bud of Steve' s? sorry bad with names and cant say I know someone from Co.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:59 PM

Dan,

No we haven' t met. I talk with Steve quite a bit and through conversation your name came up. He said you were in the Military at one point as well. I was in for 10 years and decided to get out and now live in Colorado. Sounds like you had a great hunt up there in WY. I know the wilderness area laws are BS and I can' t believe that somehow got passed. It' s almost right up there with the AK laws on guide issues. The heads you mentioned sure are strong. I was looking for a different head this year and was thinking of the delta or the 135 grain magnus. Either one should be fine but if the deltas are anything like the eskimos in strength they should be a bad ass head. So what kind of work are you doing these days up there? Good to see a military guy get out and do well. I was going to come up this year for another bear hunt, but these antelope need my attention and I' ve been close now for a couple of years so hopefully this is the year. Plus the elk need attention as well. What didn' t you like about elk hunting?

Chad
Old 05-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chad,

The deltas were always a little to big for me. On whitetails I could accept them. On real big game, I dont think I' ll take that chance. They are however made by zwickey and after my past with the eskimo' s I' d be hard pressed to go to another brand. If I did the magnus 2 blades would get the nod!

Right now for work I am waiting on my asst guides lisc to arrive. Then its off to bear camp if it happens in time. After bear camp its down to sitka for fishing season, june and july, back for sheep in august, then off to moose caribou and bear camps for sept and october. Worked on the AFB last winter and hopefully can get the same job again as it was a temp job and the rift thats happening we' ll see. My plan is to run a boat next summer may-mid august. My choice of occupations doesnt help the experience department when applying for jobs [X(]

Dunno where to start on the elk. Ya I was spoiled to get one helluva tag the first whirl on the draw. Saw some beautiful country, met some awesome people and hunted with one to boot. To be honest the elk hunting was fun. After hearin all the hype on elk hunting, I do truely think its overrated. Guess thats what happens when ya grow up callin turkeys, then go directly to moose-caribou-sheep. I would love the chance at a speed goat someday, that and mulies. Elk is way down towards the bottom of my list. Espically in the are we went last fall. Its a great tag, espically if its open season on cowboy' s. (another thing that needs to be addressed) 5 days of great hunting and on came the onslaught of 10 gallon totin horse and dualy driving folks. The elk shut up in a flash! They didnt speak again for another 3 weeks in that area other then one nite! I did bump heads with my hunting partner also a handful of times. Guess its the difference in the styles of how we hunt and how much time we each had. I had almost the hole month, he had 2 weeks.

Have a fishing seminar to do tonite, then its kick back for a few days and get ready for the guiding gig. Get more arrows done and top off a few fly boxes should round it out.

Goodluck on the goats, keep me posted!

Dan
Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 PM

Dan,

Right on! The guide thing sounds interesting. Maybe someday have to book with you. My wife' s from BC and if I get laid off or terminated here in Colorado that' s my next stop. That our AK. Are the bear camps for training or are you going to hunt? Hey on the those Eskimos you using single or 4 blade models? I have some singles and they are un-breakable. Never killed anything with them though so I can' t speak for putting blood on the ground. I' ve always been a 3blade fan, but after shooting a couple animals this past year with them I can' t say they' re that great for big animals at least out of my longbow. I know what you mean about the cowboy thing, We get the same **** here. Got into a huge pissing match with two lard-asses from Texas of all places here. Got an extra elk tag and filled it with a cow, along comes the two heros in a huge dodge dually and they ask what and where did I get the elk (was packing it out), I told them it was a very nice 6x and the war began. I got a surprise for them this year though. Keep those trucks out of the walk in only areas. Have you ever hunted the haul road? I was thinking of maybe trying that late in the year when the caribou are hard horned. If you don' t want to broadcast you can email me at [email protected]

Chad

Old 05-21-2003, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chad,

I am using the 2' s. Never could get the bleeders scary sharp. Let me know if you get up here. If the guiding thing dont work out, I' ll be hunting lol. The bear camp is to guide. They are insisting on giving me a client. I' d rather be a packer skinner for the few days I' ll be their just to get a feel of the camp and how things are run. I know most of the guides and its af first rate operation! Larry Jones and MR James have hunted their, along with Pat Lafemine. They pull some outstanding moose out of this area. The bears are good but nothing huge. Kinda goes with the interior areas. Some 300s have come out but only a couple, usually 200+ is a shooter and its not uncommon for clients to insist on a 150lber. I started with those 2 bladers and have killed all my game with them. From whities to moose they have done me well.

Yes we do the haul road. let me know if you want to come up. Dean Torges did it a couple years ago with Scotty Bennet along with Jay Campbel and his son. It' s feast or famine. Typical when hunting migrating caribou without a plane. Maybe the 3 of us can get out on my raft somewhere for some real fun. Just dont let Steve near the water, he likes gettin wet and dont pack hats or gloves LOL!

Our other email is [email protected] Feel free to email us at any time. I might be gone for june and july, thats kinda still up in the air. The black bear camp is all when the asst guides lisc comes in, hopefully this week and I' ll be gone a day or two after. We' ll see how it goes. I dont think I' ll complain. Just did a fishing seminar for a local church tonite. Its amazing, I used to have stage spooks. Man let me talk hunting and fishing and you' re gonna have to yank me off the stage espically when I start getting going [X(]. I never realized it till tonite shew. Anyways, keep in touch either on here or via email. I might be able to get you up here on a great moose trip, that or we all can go out and have a hoot somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:01 AM

Dan,

Sounds like a plan! I' m anxious to see how Steve does out on the islands. Way to go on the stage. I find when you know something well its easy to talk about it. Sounds like you' ve adapted well from MN to AK. I' m from the UP of Michigan and when I got out I told myself if I don' t go West I never will so I just came out here. I find it ok, but am still trying to make it to BC or AK but the job scene just seems scarce these days. Hmmmm Maybe the fishing trade? Yeah right!

Take care hope to meet you someday up there.

CHad
Old 05-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chad,

Steve' s back from his bear hunt. I' ll let him tell the hunt. He just got out of the shower and gave me a ring........
Old 05-22-2003, 08:36 AM

Right on!