Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Mexico Elk!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear of the unlucky change in the weather. You do have a great outlook on hunting and life by the sounds of it! Good luck with future hunts!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Jim (the guy I was hunting with) called today. I was worried that I screwed up leaving a day sooner than I had to--not so! I just barely dodged a hail storm!

The rain finally moved out, but he still hasn't connected. He said a BIG bull has been hanging out at the edge of camp, waking him up every morning since I left except today, but he's slick--and a tease.

A few elk have come back, but it's still a mess. Jim talked to a local outfitter, and he doesn't have any suggesstions--the rain has him stumped too. Green browse and standing water everywhere makes the elk impossible to pattern.

Jim went into town and talked to an older local guy--the guy said he doesn't remember it raining this late in the season since he was 5 year old (around 65 years ago, if I heard him right).

Jim plans to hunt until Friday. He's supposed to let me know how things go. Hopefully he'll catch up to that big 'un that keeps messing around with him.

Chad
Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Chad, I almost forgot to check this thread or call you. Hate it how the weather turned out for you. That sucks but it's still an adventure. Our CO trip was OK. Only one bad day of weather that caught Bob and Ed up on the mountain in the thunderstorm. I was close enough to camp that when it started rolling in I headed for the tent.

No elk for us this year either. Way more hunters in the area than before. No Leroy but Boudreaux did a pretty good job. Thanks for the horse care lessons last year. I know how you felt last year. I had been out of the gym for about 4 months before we left and it took a heavy toll on me. Didn't get my lungs OR legs till about the 4th day. I did finally connect on a some poultry though. Bob fried it up that night. Very good.

Let me hear from you. I need to call you and order a new string anyway. (I'll text you my new phone #)

Bruce
Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Hey Bruce--heck, I forgot to call too! Bummer ya'll didn't get an elk, but glad you broke the poultry curse!

My e-mail and phone number is the same, and on my site if you need it--or just pm me here.

Chad