Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

String Storage....Takedown shooters please?

Old 05-09-2003, 11:53 AM

Default String Storage....Takedown shooters please?

Question for takedown shooters, how do you store your string when in transit and your bow is disassembled, and is there any way to store your string so that when you reassemble and string your bow, you know you brace height is as it should be? I am looking for a way to utulize my takedown on my pack hunts so that when I reassemble I should be able to do so without having to get the scale and measure every time I string up. Thanks for any replies.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Storage....Takedown shooters please?

Put a limb-tip protector on the bottom limb.Keep the string on when you take it down and tape the upper loop to the limb.Also,when you' re brace is adjusted right,take a measurement and write it down just in case.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It' s not uncommon for my string to slip off when I have my bow in a sock hauling it to a shoot, hunting, etc. A flemish string shouldn' t untwist by itself--I use my thumb as a referance just in case though. I use a " thumb' s-up" with the base of my hand resting on the deepest part of the grip--once you get used to it you can tell if your brace height has moved any.

Chad
Old 05-09-2003, 07:52 PM

I know this does not answer your question on storage but some folk use their arrow crest in relation to a point on the handle/riser as a quick reference guide for the brace height. Obviously the cresting has to be a fixed, constant distance from the nock on all your arrows.
I' ve found this useful occasionally.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never found a way to keep a string from losing a couple of twists when I took it off and took the bow apart. Just carry a bow square or tape measure and adjust the brace height when you put the bow back together. I stole my wife' s cloth measuring tape out of her sewing kit years ago and stashed it in my archery goodies. Don' t tell her though. She still thinks she lost it.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:26 AM
bjk

I can' t remember who made this suggestion, but it was a convenient one...you can cut an old arrow to the correct brace height and keep it in the case...pretty fast way to measure...
Old 05-13-2003, 11:31 AM

If you don' t use a tip protector, take a rubber band and secure the bottom tip to the bow (if you' ve got a good custom string; this may not be necssary). Then remove the top loop and put it over the bottom limb tip, too. Now just fold the string and put one more rubber band on the other end to firmly fix the string to the bottom limb. For insurance, carry a bow square packed with your setup and use a sharpie marker to mark your EXACT brace height and nock location. Then you will never have to guess again about either one. This is important because one should always carry an exact duplicate string as a backup on a trip or even a shoot. You never know when you' ll need it. Alternate strings every month or so until they' re both broken in precisely the same and you have equal confidence in both.

If I pack a flemish twist string away from my bow and want to keep the twists static, I interlock the loops and then fold it and put it in a leather sheath I keep for such a purpose.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to wrap the string around one of the limbs be it a recurve or a td longbow.

For the brace height, the cresting pattern is the ticket! Even if you dont have a band exactly their, having one close is a good reference. You can do this easily enough with a practice arrow in your quiver/small game arrow, or one of your broadheaded arrows. Just be aware different string materials will stretch and/or creep to different amounts. Once it settles in (one of the newer materials) on a brace heigth and very little to no more movement is happening, I noticed a bh change after unstringing and letting it set for awhile.

Normally on my backpack hunts I do however just carry a bowsquare or my partners (mostly compounders) will carry one. For weight you can cut it say 1/2" over your bh marking or right on. Its also nice to have for marking a string to measure things when you do get lucky. On that note, a marked string will work perfectly. So many options......
Old 05-13-2003, 05:30 PM
AK

I keep a spare string in my hunting license holder each season in case I inadvertantly cut the main bowstring with a broadhead. Anyway, so it' s ready to go at the proper brace, I pull one loop (A) through the other (B) beyond by about 1/2" , then fold the sides of loop (A) back down around loop (B) and give loop (B) a tug. That keeps the string from unstwisting, so if I' m careful when undoing the loops, the brace will be where it should be.

I don' t do this, but I suppose a safety pin or twisty tie would work just as well.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:18 AM

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate them.

I am planning on going on a pack hunt this coming season with two of my buddies for mountain goats and when/if we got an animal, I wanted to be able to disassemble my bow and store it in my quiver pocket so both my hands are free to work or carry anything necessary. I was hoping to find a way to avoid bringing the bow square but reading your replies, I think it will be mandatory. No matter, I would rather be absolute than second quessing. Thanks for the replies once more gentlmen.

Quick Reply: String Storage....Takedown shooters please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.