Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Information Sources

Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Information Sources

Full of vinegar as usual Jim--how about you? Still shooting the Massie? I still love my Crusader, but I've gotten into shooting selfbows a bit the last couple of years. Only made one so far, but been lucky with it and another that a friend made for me.

Chad
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Still have the Massie's but I have been shooting a Trad Tech Titan with 45lb ExtremeBF limbs, carbon arrows, and a Hoyt elevated rest. I know.... I know ...... I'm a techno junkie but I live within 45 minutes of LAS and like the bow and how it shoots. I always shot best 3 under and you can't do that with the longbows in 3D trad longbow class.

Still pull out the Massie Longhorns with Rogue River cedars from time to time just to keep comfortable with them. I baby both the bows and the RRA arrows being as neither original companies are in business anymore. I'm sure the new companies are good but I have a history with the original companies. No offense meant to the new owners in anyway I just miss Jeff, Cecil, and Ma.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 PM

Chad I just finished watching Masters of the Barebow III and found it a good DVD, but, I would not recommend it to a new archer to watch for one major reason. That is the information it presents on the subject of target panic. I do not feel a new archer needs to be presented with the demons just starting out .... they come soon enough as it is without mentally programing them ahead of time. Target panic should be left to a cause and effect and cure presentation on it's own to those who are suffering with it IMO. To include it in a otherwise excellent presentation of archery form and function DVD was IMO a big mistake (and you know I really like Larry and he and I had many a archery conversation over the years in our old chatroom late at night).

Anyway, that is my take on this DVD. It would not be a new archer recommendation to me unless I specifically told them never to watch the section on target panic...... but you can bet they would go there. Sad thing was they only stated going back to the basics as a way to cure it and did not include the NAA or NFAA methods for curing it like shooting around the clock or 5 count blank bale closed eye shots, or any of the other recognized methods to over come this mental glitch. Going back to basics is only one of many methods that have proven successful over the years. That is why it should not of been included in a shooting presentation as it could fill several DVD's with ways to combat TP on its own. IMO they could of found any number of other informative topics to fill time on the DVD rather than TP.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the review Jim--I'll pass that on in case there's talk of a MBB IV.It's still the best DVD on the market that I know of.

It's presented by a couple of guys that have proven they know how to shoot (and at least one of them is a good coach), and there's no idiotic remarks made in a lame attempt to make them out to be something they aren't. Not even one referace to green tights as a major credential either.

Chad
Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Chad I haven't seen all that many archery DVD's but I agree it is a very good source of information for a proper execution of a archery shot sequence. Very well done in that respect...... now including TP was like shooting the viewer in the foot IMO. Here we'll teach you all these good things but this demon TP WILL affect you at some point or time and there is no real cure ..... man if I was starting out I would quit right there..... what's the sense in perfecting a shot if a demon like TP will eventually take it away and there is nothing I can do to prevent it.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I couldn't say why that was put in--I'm not a coach, so all I could offer is opinion at best. I really didn't pay that much attention at all--if you had asked, I couldn't have told you squat about that segment.

My bet is, if you are focused on learning to shoot, you won't pay that segment much attention unless you are having that problem.

At any rate, I still think it's a safer bet to trust in someone who's actually done something with a bow to give you accurate information, vs. someone who's claim to fame is pretending to be Robin Hood.[8D]

Chad
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Information Sources

Looks like we both had "Posting Panic" I had to go back in and delete 3 of the 4 posts that were repeat posts for some reason ..... just like you have on this thread.

Well back to the blank bales for both of us .......
Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR
Just curious--what do you recommend for someone starting out, who doesn't have anyone to show them the ropes and can't afford a coach?

To date, my favorite is "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III". You need a basic understanding of archery terms to follow it, but IMO it's the best information source on the market, shy of a personal coach.

Chad
For raw shooting advice, the MBB series can't be beaten. But for all around general information, I'd highly suggest the Traditional Bowhunters Handbook by T.J. Conrads.