Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Almost done

Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 AM
bigcountry

Default Almost done

I have shot her about 60 shots. Tiller seems to be holding. She is 45lbs @29". I am considering piking her. I got some canebrakes timber rattlers ready to put on her. I put rawhide on the back. Whatcha think? I hope I am not developing a hinge on the top limb about 8-10" from the tip.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Almost done

Mark.

That top limb does look like it could be hingeing.

But then again it could be the camera angle.

Put her back on the tiller tree and see how she is on there.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:25 AM
bigcountry

Well, there sure is a small hinge forming. The more I tiller the osage bows, the more I am convinced that Dean Torgues is dead on correct that a flat belly is not the way to go. What happened at that spot is I broke thru a growth ring while tillering. And then after shooting in, I guess that weak early growth turned weaker than the late grwoth.

Dean's idea is to not make a flat belly but a curved faceted approach so you will be sharing the strain to early and late growth while tillering.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mate.

That sure is bad news I really do feel for ya.

One day your gonna get one just right.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:04 AM
bigcountry

Well, I tillered on her this morning. Got her close. I figured when I pike it 1.5" I will be back at 45lbs At 29" Wife said she liked the wieght.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I see the slightest bit of a hinge on the upper limb. It could be easily pulled out by softening the outer third just a bit.

Lower limb looks pretty good, Id just watch that junction between the middle third and lower third. Cant tale from the pic. if it is a slight hinge or a knot making it appear to be weak there.

Looks real good. Once I get my head above water, im going to be working on a few self bows. Once I get the shop cleaned out, i might have to get your address and send you a hackberry stave for you to wittle on.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
bigcountry

Thanks Kent. I wouldn't mind scrapin on some hack. I got most of the hinge out. She is going to come in light as usual. But again learned a whole new set of issues and how to deal with em.