Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Min string strands

Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 PM
bigcountry

Default Min string strands

Is 8 strands not enough for a 60lb longbow of 450plus?

I usually use 12 strand of B50.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Min string strands

Ive never used 450 for anything but compounds. Not sure. I usually use 16 strands of dacron 50 for 60+lb bows.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

8should be enough just make sure to pad the loops and center serving.

I use 10 strands of 450+ on my bows.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Mark.

8should be enough just make sure to pad the loops and center serving.

I use 10 strands of 450+ on my bows.
Stupid question I know. But how does one go about padding loops or center serving? I was just going to double serve it.

So when I measure off 7" from the end of my last longest strand, do I add strands same length? Or different lengths?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

Just add a couple of strands around 8" or so once you have the loop done you can trim off the extra do the same with the center serving or double serve it either way will work but the double serving might make for tight nock fit.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:11 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

8 strands is enough (with padded loops), but I don't like it. I've heard from a few folks about smaller 450+ strings breaking without warning. I've also had another stringmaker (Rod Jenkins) tell me he's heard the same. Obviously it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

Padding the loops is easy. I use dacron for the padding, whether it's 450+, Dynaflight '97, or 8125. I cut my strands about 15" long, and stagger them on the ends. For 450+, I like 14-15 strands in the loops (total--for an 8 strand string, add 3 strands of padding in each of the two bundles).

For the center serving, another way to get a good nock fit is use dental floss on the nock point. Just build it up to the fit you want, then add super glue and it should last.

Chad
Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LBR

8 strands is enough (with padded loops), but I don't like it. I've heard from a few folks about smaller 450+ strings breaking without warning. I've also had another stringmaker (Rod Jenkins) tell me he's heard the same. Obviously it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

Padding the loops is easy. I use dacron for the padding, whether it's 450+, Dynaflight '97, or 8125. I cut my strands about 15" long, and stagger them on the ends. For 450+, I like 14-15 strands in the loops (total--for an 8 strand string, add 3 strands of padding in each of the two bundles).

For the center serving, another way to get a good nock fit is use dental floss on the nock point. Just build it up to the fit you want, then add super glue and it should last.

Chad
Whats your favorite Chad for performance from longbows? D97, 450plus, 8125?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Seems that the material doesn't make much difference in performance--string weight, how it's made, tuning, nock fit, etc. does more.

I like Dynaflight '97 on bows pulling 50+ lbs, 8125 seems to work a little better for under 50#. 10 strands of Dynaflight is fine for 60#--I think it will be a little smaller than 8 strands of 450+, and I've never heard of Dynaflight breaking without warning. I've had folks order 6 and 8 strand Dynaflight strings, but I haven't tried one.

Chad
Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LBR

Seems that the material doesn't make much difference in performance--string weight, how it's made, tuning, nock fit, etc. does more.

I like Dynaflight '97 on bows pulling 50+ lbs, 8125 seems to work a little better for under 50#. 10 strands of Dynaflight is fine for 60#--I think it will be a little smaller than 8 strands of 450+, and I've never heard of Dynaflight breaking without warning. I've had folks order 6 and 8 strand Dynaflight strings, but I haven't tried one.

Chad
Well, I made up 3 strings tonight with 10 strands of D97 and padded the loops with 6 pieces of B50. Holy cow, this is one small string with 10 strand of D97. I am kinda worried about it myself. Even with serving with .022 brownell, it was cutting in my fingers bad. So I double served overtop the .022 with .018 #62 braid. This was more comfortable on my fingers and had good nock fit.

Anyone else shoot a 10 strand bundle of D97? Its a 60lb zipper recurve.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive never used anything but dacron 50. I am curious if there is a noticeable improvement going with a much thinner string.

Quick Reply: Min string strands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.