Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New McKenzie targets

Old 04-22-2003, 09:55 PM

Default New McKenzie targets

Just shot a course last weekend that had some of the McKenzies made with the new foam and man oh man they are so much nicer than the old ones.They seemed to heal up well and the best part is arrow removal was EASY.I kinda fell in love with the bear scratching the tree targetAnyone else try these targets yet?I was thinking of buying a few to set up on a wooded property I have access to and these seemed to be the nicest I have shot so far,including my old McKenzie buck
Old 04-23-2003, 03:08 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New McKenzie targets

Haven' t heard about these--when did they come out? Is the foam similar to what Rhinehart uses? Any idea if the cost went up?

Chad
Old 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Troy, do you have to ask for the " special" new targets, or are they the standard target now? The worst part about those targets is getting the arrows back out. I am in the market for a new target, and if the arrows pull out that good, I will get one of those puppies.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

The newer McKenzies are pretty nice, and ar on par with the Rhineharts as far as easy arrow removal. Not all of the targets have the new " SuperFlex" sections, so check to make sure you are getting the new material if you are looking at buying a McKenzie. From what I can tell, the prices for the new material are slightly higher. For example, the old medium bear is 229, the new " climbing bear" is 252.

The big drawback, IMO, to the Mckenzies is that you have to replace the entire midsection. With the Rhineharts you only have to replace the scoring sections.

A product you may want to look into is the power arrow gripper from Berry Archery Products. It is a new twist on the old arrow gripper, and I must say it has made 3D much more enjoyable. Before I got one it took 3 of us to remove my carbon arrows (shot out of my compound) from any target, now it literally takes one hand.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:02 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Rey, do you know of anyplace on-line I can see one? I get cussed and fussed at every time I shoot 3-d--I still shoot wood, but they are a bugger to pull. I' m kinda torn between replacing the scoring section and the whole midsection--I' ve seen targets that were shot to the point where just a scoring section wouldn' t stay in--(mostly in yards).

Chad
Old 04-23-2003, 08:57 PM
COB

Come on Chad, you know all you need to replace are the ears, nose, tail, and legs. Seems to me that was was where your arrows always seemed to hit when we shot together! [] [>:]
Old 04-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

LMAO at COB.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:46 PM

I would say Rey has a much better scoop on the details than me I just know the one I shot was much nicer than the standard McKenzie to pull my carbons out of Even my buddies arrows pulled fairly easy ( compounder )I will have to ask the fella who runs the course which targets are available with the superflex as I think out of the 30 targets on the course the only superflex he has out is the bear.Not sure how wood will pull maybe this weekend my woodies will be here and I can find out if I don' t end up breakin them all lol
Old 04-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

LBR there are only a few of the newer materials currently being offered. So far the only ones I have seen on any courses are the bear below, a deer and a turkey of some sort. Rumor has it McKenzie is thinking of switching a lot of their targets to this new material. I will warn you though, do not get the HD series unless you really want to battle with removing the arrows. The HD series is great for durability, but tough for arrow removal.
Here is a link to mckenzies webpage.

http://www.mckenziesp.com/mcktarget1.htm
The carbon buck in the above link is the new superflex foam

Here is the bear:

Old 04-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

BTW,

Here is a pic of the power gripper I mentioned above. This is one product I can honestly say truly works as advertised: