Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Top 3 recurves and why?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Top 3 recurves and why?

I'm still looking at getting a traditional bow. I like the all wood one piece but haven't decided between recurve or long bow. I've had experience with some but am extremely green to the traditional shooting.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Top 3 recurves and why?

Honestly, I know you won't like hearing this. But nobody can tell you. I have seen cheaper recurves less than 300 dollars new, people can shoot better than ones 3X thier price. It depends what you want. Some like me, really love the beauty of the exotic woods. Some want the speed of an adcock bow. Some can't handle the higher grips of a recurve. Some can't shoot without.

The most popular sellers are the following. But most go over 800 new. For a new shooter, I highly recommend not spending that much on one before you go out and shoot a bunch of em. They all shoot well, you just got to see which one fits you.
Black widow
ACX (Adcock)
Morrison
Bob Lee
Zipper
Blacktail
Schafer

Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Nobody can tell you what bow you will like best. There's gobs of great bows on the market, and they cover huge price range.

What it boils down to is there is no magic bow. A good archer can shoot any decent bow well, a lousy archery will shoot lousy with any bow.

KenBeck (former owner of Black Widow) once told me in a phone conversation: "There's not a nickle's difference in the better bows on the market". I completely agree.

Chad
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate the information. It's like shooting a compound in the fact you have to shoot it to pick the right bow for each person. I'm just trying to get an idea of what is a good bowand shoot a bunch and have fun doing it. I really don't plan on spending more than 500-600 on my first one because I'll end up buying another one in a few years anyway. Most of the guys at our local shop are Widow shooters and I like them too. I really liked the Thunderstick longbow. It shot really nice but I'm hearing stories of the longbows cracking in the riser....I don't want to make the mistake of buying one that has a history of issues.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned

Zipper - they fit my smaller hands, great build's, great shooters .... they've got it all and maybe THE most underated recurves on the market. I shoot an all bamboo one right now

Silvertips - a price to match the quality, really superb bows in every way, shape and form. Cannot go wrong with them.

Widow SA and PSA model recurves - another cannot go wrong with recurve.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoytrocks

I appreciate the information. It's like shooting a compound in the fact you have to shoot it to pick the right bow for each person. I'm just trying to get an idea of what is a good bow and shoot a bunch and have fun doing it. I really don't plan on spending more than 500-600 on my first one because I'll end up buying another one in a few years anyway. Most of the guys at our local shop are Widow shooters and I like them too. I really liked the Thunderstick longbow. It shot really nice but I'm hearing stories of the longbows cracking in the riser....I don't want to make the mistake of buying one that has a history of issues.
I'm not a recurve shooter so can't help ya there! But I do shoot a Longbow! I haven't heard of a longbow breaking in the riser, especially a Thunderstick!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

...another cannot go wrong with recurve.
There's no such bow. It's easy to prove--if there was such a bow, you'd never see one for sale used, unless maybe because the owner died. With any bow, you can find people that love it, and people that really don't like it.

I've owneda lot of different bows over the years, and I couldn't guess how many I've shot--I've kept one to shoot (mainly bowfishing), and a few others that have collector and/or sentimental value to me. The rest are gone.

Of the hundreds of bows I've owned, and the thousands I've shot, getting my hands on a really "bad" bow has been very rare. However, just because a bow is beautiful, well built, has a good reputation, a good warranty, whatever.....that doesn't mean you will like it. I could shoot most any of them well enough, but they didn't fit me. I once won a tournament with a borrowed bow that I hated (long story there). I haven't shot it since (it belongs to a good friend of mine), and wouldn't use it if he gave it to me. I can shoot it, but I don't like the way it feels in my hand.

Unless you just have the money to spend, I'd go with a cheap bow starting out. You don't yet know what you like or what you want, and your tastes will evolve as you develop your form and learn more. I wouldn't suggest bouncing from one bow to the next every other week--that's not enough time to learn squat about any bow (other than maybe you really hate it--I can usually tell that within a few shots on the rare occasion it happens), and will hinder you in the long run.

There are plenty of old bows that can be had at a bargain, and will perform with most any on the market--or at least close enough that you won't notice the difference. Old Bear, Pearson, Root, Wing, Shakespeare, etc. etc. etc.

If there'ssome specific bows you are looking at, mention them and I'm sure some of us have tried them and will have an opinion. Just keepthis in mind--an opinion isjust an opinion.

Chad
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you just have the money to spend, I'd go with a cheap bow starting out. You don't yet know what you like or what you want, and your tastes will evolve as you develop your form and learn more. I wouldn't suggest bouncing from one bow to the next every other week--that's not enough time to learn squat about any bow (other than maybe you really hate it--I can usually tell that within a few shots on the rare occasion it happens), and will hinder you in the long run.

There are plenty of old bows that can be had at a bargain, and will perform with most any on the market--or at least close enough that you won't notice the difference. Old Bear, Pearson, Root, Wing, Shakespeare, etc. etc. etc.
There's a ton of good info right there
Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

You are right this is good information. I'm going to go shoot a few Thundersticks this weekend and then we are going to a traditional shop in Sand Lake that has a lot of variety of used and new bows. I really like the longbow I shot and I talked to Jim Reynold maker of Thundersticks today and you can't help but like the guy. I don't think 475.00-525.00 is out of line for my first one. I do agree, I have no idea in the end what will be the perfect fit for me so spending 1000.00 isn't something I want to do until I'm in to it a few years. I'm going to take my time and see what's out there. I'm sure the next issue will be what arrow works best in it....what a fun problem!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

...another cannot go wrong with recurve.
of course I disagree

can't go wrong with means it has quality contruction, its fast and quiet, the bowyer knew what he was doing when he built it and will back the product and last but almost the most important quality? resale - because trad archery is addictive, and you'll want to try bow after bow until THE bow that fits you falls into your hands.

don't pay $150 for a bow that you can't turn for $75 - thats the CAN go wrong bows. trust me - I've traded/bought/sold enough to know

Quick Reply: Top 3 recurves and why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.