Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Newbie hear

Old 01-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie hear

Just bought a old Kodiak Mag 50#... Anyhow don't know !@#$... How do you tell what the draw length is on the bow???

and what would be a good starting spine for aluminum arrows... I have a dozen of old Autom Orange 2016 laying around... Can I just use them to start???

Also what kind of tabs should I use or gloves???

Do you use string silencers???
Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Newbie hear

Yes to all. Most recurves are not draw specific. They just specify wieght at 28" is the standard. Some like Zipper have an upper limit of draw of 31" for them to warranty them. 2016's sounds just right. Silencers are handy for just that. I like beaver fur for silencing.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Newbie hear

I put a set of Bow Hush and Hush Puppies on my son's K-Mag and it is quiet as a church mouse! I am pretty impressed on how quiet they got the bow!

Finger tabs, I just cut my own out of leather I picked up from Tandy, for $5.00 I got like 8 tabs out of it!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Spike

yeah it has the rubber hose with two hose clamps.But anyhow i got it.I finally got that rubber hose off and then i had to twist and turn and manuverethe metal return line all different ways to get it out.It really went by faster once i got the old one out.Thanks anyway.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your Kodiak is 50@28. If you draw 28" on your compound,you'll most likely draw an inch less(maybe more)with the recurve depending on what your form is like. Keep in mind that for every inch under 28",the draw weight will drop around 2-3lbs.

The 2016's will be fine...just make sure they're fletched with feathers unless you decide to shoot off an elevated rest.

Glove or tab...up to you. I prefer a leather tab(don't care for the calf hair faced ones either). I just get a better release than with a glove.

Cat whiskers are cheap and they work.

Don't forget about a stringer,too. Properly used,it'll protect the bow from damage as well as yourself.

Brace hgt is important for a good tune. Start around 7.5" and twist the string up or down until you get the desired tune. I'm pretty sure Dacron(B50 or B500) should be the only string material to use on that older bow.. fast flight material might cause damage. If not sure if it can handle FF,use the dacron