Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Son's first bow

Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Son's first bow

Mate.

I am sorry to hear that it was looking real good.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 AM
bigcountry

Well after careful in spection, I see what went wrong and why. When I tried to straighten her, the limb was basically curlying up and not really going side to side. So I thinned one side way too much. So when I started reducing wieght, it got knife thin on that side, And guess too much pressureon the back.

Oh well. I think I am going to move to my IPE build. Got a IPE board, and have boo on order.

Thanks Russ. I am going to get this right if it kills me.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:07 PM
bigcountry

Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

Could you put some linen on that section to strenghten it?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Mark.

Could you put some linen on that section to strenghten it?
Nope, its broke in two, I just kinda fited it back on.

Next time I will get a better stave. This one was way crooked. Should be easy to get a 45" stave. Also, this one was 35" NTN. I think next time 45" would be the way to go.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Hate to see that. Sorry about the bow. Nothing is more sickning than that sound of crack. It makes you want to pitch a fit. Well, actually ive been known to pitch a fit after such an event. Actually, I pitched a fit last Sat.. I was out in my shop shaping a riser, and went to cut the fades and cut on the wrong side of the riser. Yep, all that work down the drain. Had to go back, glue up another riser, and reform it Sun. after church. I wanted to have the bow done Sun.. But now ill be tillering it this afternoon and wont have it done till tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well after careful in spection, I see what went wrong and why. When I tried to straighten her, the limb was basically curlying up and not really going side to side. So I thinned one side way too much. So when I started reducing wieght, it got knife thin on that side, And guess too much pressureon the back.

If I get this right, you were fighting limb twist? If so, next time, take off the side, and just a little off the belly of the offending side. Not sure if I got what happened right, just guessing.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, actually ive been known to pitch a fit after such an event.
Not too mention College football games[8D]
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Well, actually ive been known to pitch a fit after such an event.
Not too mention College football games[8D]
Lol.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

If I get this right, you were fighting limb twist? If so, next time, take off the side, and just a little off the belly of the offending side. Not sure if I got what happened right, just guessing.
Kinda, I was trying to heat the limb to line up. The limb moved some side to side, (as desired) but mostly curled over at a 45 degree angle. So when you drew it back, the bend I heated in would come out. So I tried to tiller one side really thin, to make it bend back the way I wanted.

But I guess I went too far.

If I had it to do over again, I would have cut out my layout but would have not cut the belly taper and kept the bow thick. That way, the width of the limb would have been less than the thickness, and would have bent more side to side. Or it might have broke right there.

Sorry to hear your cutting issues there Kent. I am rather embarrassed by my break. Second in a month. I only have two working selfbows I have built. And one is not done yet. So my success rate is low. I actually wasn't going to post it broke. Good to hear it happens even to experienced bowyers.

Quick Reply: Son's first bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.