Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Son's first bow

Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Son's first bow

Ok, finished shaping the handle, and now just carefully working down the limbs. Now, all I need is to find a neighborhood kid around 5 years old and see if it fits his hand. It got a co-worker to measure the palm of his kids from 4 to 7 and all were under 2". So I made it 2". So now, all I got left is working down the limbs and tillering. The hard part. One thing I notice is you have to be real careful taking down the limbs. Everything is so small, and every swipe of the cabinet scraper, you need to watch what your doing.

I put a long string on and limbs still need work before I try to string it up.

Hit a severe snag. I made my shelves where a big ole knot is. It looks solid but we will see. I need a buffalo horn to make an overlay for this handle section. That will have to come last. Don't want my boy getting hurt.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

It's looking real good.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
bigcountry

I just couldn't take a chance on that knot. So I sanded down the face of the "back" and I decided to cover it with elk bone. Not sure how it will look, but I am sure it will give it protection from breaking, at least from the back. Still have to worry about side to side.

Got it nice and flat, and took a piece of elk bone a friend in WA state sent me.

After several min of sanding on the belt sander, I got it very thin and flat, and feathered the ends.

So I carefully mated the two pieces together, and glued them up with epoxy. Let it dry overnight and fit tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 AM
bigcountry

Well, I am happy and sad. Not sure about the white bone. Should have got some buffalo horn. Now, I feel I need to make the tips bone too. I think it would have looked better with black horn. I might put another overlay on it to make it black and white. I should have also extended the bone down to the fades more on the bottom of handle. But I would have had to take off much more of the "back" of the handle to make it flat.

After about 1.5 hours of dremeling and sanding, she fits good and should strengthen that area alot.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

She's lookin good

I think the black horn will look good ontop of the white.

Didn't want to wait for that piece of Cocobolo eh

No matterhow it looks,I think your son is gonna love the bow, he's gonna be just like Dad
Old 01-31-2009, 09:06 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Didn't want to wait for that piece of Cocobolo eh
Yea, it was one of those things at 10PM last nightthat kept bugging me.

I was thinking bone would be much stronger. But I still wouldn't mind the cocobolo, if youcould spare. I wonderif I could put aoverlay ofthat? Maybe, not a good idea. I am not sure what would be stronger, the wood or bone.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

But I still wouldn't mind the cocobolo, if youcould spare.
Mate.

It's yours pm me your details and I will ship it out Monday.

I wonderif I could put aoverlay ofthat?
I dont see any reason you couldn't just use Smooth On epoxy or it's equalivant.

I am not sure what would be stronger, the wood or bone.
I wouldn't like to get hit across the back of the head by a chunk of Cocobolo

Old 02-01-2009, 06:21 AM

get him setup and send some pics of them hammering the sika deer over there.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TGRIZWALD

get him setup and send some pics of them hammering the sika deer over there.
This was the first year in a long time not getting my sika this year.

Lost my mojo on those little elk.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM

we never made it out the guys i hunt with bailed on me. next year hope they run out of excuses so we can do some nice man drives in the marsh.that is a cool bow for the little one. make sure you dont scratch that harley

Quick Reply: Son's first bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.