Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

frog gigging and the impact to traditional archery (with pics)

Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: frog gigging and the impact to traditional archery (with pics)

ORIGINAL: LBR

I honestly don't remember if I've shot or owned one--too many bows, too little memory. If I did, it wasn't good or bad enough to leave a real impression. That's the bows I remember, for the most part--really liked them, or really didn't. There's a few that fall into my "ok" category that I remember, mainly because they get talked about a lot.

BC, have you ever seen Tamo ash? It's the prettiest wood I've seen--'course it depends on the figure.

As for performance, not likely you'll get the absolute best performing recurve from PSE, or even Hoyt. I'll try to remember to ask a friend who stays on top of this stuff who's got the #1 spot currently--pretty sure it will be an ILF limb, probably Samick or W&W. He'll know more about who actually has it, vs. who claims they have it.

Chad
Can't say I have seen that wood. What can I say, I am vain.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Don't get me wrong--I love pretty wood, but I don't judge a bow by looks. Bad thing is, a lot of folks do. I've often said you could take two bows to a big shoot and put them on a table with a "for sale" sign on it.

Bow #1 is plain--nothing exceptional or fancy about the looks at all--but gains 1# per inch out to 35", no finger pinch, super stable, super forgiving, grip fits like a glove,and will push a 10 gpp arrow 250 fps with no more noise than the whisper of the feathers.

Bow #2 is drop-dead gorgeous. The fanciest and most exotic woods known to man, gold inlay, all sorts of artistic work, fancy curves and accents, etc. etc. etc. but it's a bit picky about arrow spine, pretty noisy unless you use at least two sets of silencers and a set of limb savers, the grip is a bit uncomfortable, and top speed with 8gpp arrows is 175 fps.

Price tag on bow #1 is $250, brand new. Price tag on bow #2 is $1,500. At least 90% of the time bow #2 will sell way before bow #1, if anyone even looks at bow #1.

I know the guy that owns bow #1, except he either got it free or paid something like $25 for it. It's not plain-jane either--that bow is butt-ugly--but he can shoot the lights out with it.

I've seen and shot several bow #2's--never bought one, but there's plenty of them available--and there's a heck of a market for them.

Anyhow.......nothing against pretty woods (except it makes me sick when I scuff up the bow), but pretty don't make it shoot.

Chad
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Back to the frog giggin

When I was younger, my brother an I use to use our fishing bows to go frog giggin, while everyone else used a gig.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 AM
bigcountry

Man, I miss frog giggin. I miss squirrel hunting too.The more simple types of hunting.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Spike

GIGS???, You don't need no stinkin gigs!lol,lol

Zippers are fine bows, very solidly built, good shooters tooand Bill is a very goodperson, he started building bows about the same time I did, but last I heard his Elk bows were $1650, I personally have never shot one, but I know someone who has, he goes by Larry247, he also owns 2 of mine with a third on the way, he won ATAR with one of them last year.....mine start at $650.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

Zippers are fine bows, very solidly built, good shooters tooand Bill is a very goodperson, he started building bows about the same time I did, but last I heard his Elk bows were $1650, I personally have never shot one, but I know someone who has, he goes by Larry247, he also owns 2 of mine with a third on the way, he won ATAR with one of them last year.....mine start at $650.
The $1500 for Bil's bow is with matching quiver, and all the arrow inlays they do. If you do away with arrow inlays and quiver, its 1200 dollars.

I have not shot a voodoo bow myself. I wouldn't mind shooting one.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Spike

You are right, I stand corrected!....... but I did see $1650 on there last summer, my buddy Dorris sent me the link, I saw it myself..........and as of yet I don't have any shooters that I send around, I build them one at a time,custom for that particulararcherand I have a waiting list of 4 to 5 months, every one I do is already spoken for, although I did build a couple extras for the Tennessee Classic last year, but both were sold before I made it back home, We put one on ebay last year too, lasted less than 12 hrs. and sold for full price....and bigcountry, I'll make you a deal... $600, and if doesn't shoot as good as it looks, orif you are unhappy with it in any way....I'll buy it back from you....... and mine are guaranteed as long as I am......... I don't sell these to newby's, every one has went to seasoned shooters with experience with many different bows, ask any of them their opinions, they will be more than happy to give them.....................Steve
Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

You are right, I stand corrected!....... but I did see $1650 on there last summer, my buddy Dorris sent me the link, I saw it myself..........and as of yet I don't have any shooters that I send around, I build them one at a time,custom for that particulararcherand I have a waiting list of 4 to 5 months, every one I do is already spoken for, although I did build a couple extras for the Tennessee Classic last year, but both were sold before I made it back home, We put one on ebay last year too, lasted less than 12 hrs. and sold for full price....and bigcountry, I'll make you a deal... $600, and if doesn't shoot as good as it looks, orif you are unhappy with it in any way....I'll buy it back from you....... and mine are guaranteed as long as I am......... I don't sell these to newby's, every one has went to seasoned shooters with experience with many different bows, ask any of them their opinions, they will be more than happy to give them.....................Steve
Well, I contacted Larry and he had nothing but praise for ya. He definately hated, I mean loathed the zipper. I was kinda surprised and disappointed. My zipper shoots for me better than any bow I got. And I have went thru 10 or so now. But I am always looking for a new bow.