Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

SOLD THE TRAINING WHEELS

Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Default SOLD THE TRAINING WHEELS

Guys...

Well I did it - finally... Im not sure if you guys remember any of my old bow build posts but I built myself 2 reflex deflex long bows / hybrids...I now went ahead and sold the Bowtech...

I have a good story. I went to Indiana a few weeks back and got rained on every day, so the one day I get out and really hunt - here is what happens.....My first Midwest hunt in 20 years without my training wheels....

Im on the ground on a hillside in a ravine / drainage gorge... whatever you want to call it - typical Illinois river bottom grounds... anyway - I look up across the ravine and see a doe beingtailed by a buck - a huge one (about 160-170 class) well they are in a bunch of head high saplings / grass / brush and 55-65 yards away...so I watch for 15 minutes... The vanish into the thick stuff.... then a spike and an 8 point wander to the spot snorting at each other a while... very very cool stuff....15 minutes later - I look up there again in same spot a doe - Is it 'the doe'.... ? Then he comes out - yes he is back.... she starts coming down the hill, and I start thinking "Good Lord, Im going to get a shot at him".... She walks down and goes left, I think "gee, gonna be a hair long of a shot"... He follows her foot steps down the hill till he hits the bottom... hes in a small patch of iron wood trees (small ones) and I let out a , "Meaaaa" He stops - with this look on his face like he screwed up... I draw, focus on the shoulder, paying attention to the sapling near his shoulder and think 'dont hit the sapling'....I think, its a hair long, compensate.....swoosh...............I let her rip.... It feels good.... what a beautiful sight - those feathers spinning across the bottom - SMACK !!! He takes off - YES.... I hit.....him...the sapling... I was stunned...I hit the sapling dead ringer center...he ran off, and I almost fell down... It was awesome, and I had to fight the feeling "what if I had my Bowtech"... I was thrilled.... but sad...... I did learn that perhaps I can miss....and will... That was actually my first miss ever... but what a miss !!!
Im looking to have many more adventures with my bow. BTW - The bow is a 'hybrid type' 43 LB at 28".... be happy to show anyone...

Thanks for listening !
Old 12-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: SOLD THE TRAINING WHEELS

Thats awsome man. Lets see the tools of the trade now.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Here is a pic I posted while building it.... Its finished now.. Ill have to take a few more. The bow is 62" and 43# Im shooting 540 grain carbon arrows with a very high FOC, and grizzly single bevel broadheads
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Here is my old post - couldnt copy the pic over here....
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...&key=&#3064909
Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Great. I hold on to my compound for times when im injured. Which seems to happen more than I like. Came in handy this year, broke a middle finger and couldnt draw a trad bow, but was able to finish the season with my compound.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM
bigcountry

I just can't sell my wheels. I like hunting trad before the rut and after. But I enjoy my compounds. I just bought another compound. I know I use it like a crutch, but its all fun.

Glad, you had a great experience trad hunting this year. I did this year myself.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know the feeling of the miss. It can be exhilerating.

Some people like the crutch (compound), some don't. Can't blame you a bit in decision or direction. Congratulations!