Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bear Supermag in G

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear Supermag in G

I'm shooting a bear supermag, 50# @28", drawing 27". Stock string which bear says is 16 strands of fast flight. Have added beaver balls and bow hush to the string, shooting 10 gpi terminators at 29" with 250 grains up front, hi-profile 5.5" feathers. Bohning press fit nocks that have been adjusted to release the arrow with a light tap when held vertically.

Love most everything about the bow. When I do my part it shoots where I look. Only thing I don't like is it sounds like I'm playing a stringed instrument at release. Pronounced but short twang.

I don't think I'm plucking the string at release. Is this a common issue with the supermag? Could it possibly be the string? If you have a supermag, does yours do this? What did you do to silence it?

Too close to really hitting the woods hard to consider major changes like a new string, but are there any other things I should try, like possibly string leeches in stead of the beaver balls?

Others have recommended a different string material and of course flemish. Do you think a different string alone would make a huge difference in noise reduction?

Any input is appreciated, and thanks in advance
Old 11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Supermag in G

I'd play a bit more with the brace height. Maybe also adjust the silencers. If the problem is still not fixed maybe try a dacron string (Flemish Twist) or a DF-97 (again Flemish). Also maybe try something different then beaver balls. Hush puppies seem to work well for me as well as leeches and cat whiskers.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM

Are you shooting with a glove or tab? Try a tab.

Do you have the string silencers positioned in the right place? Some work better than others but basically they are all about the same.

As already said brace height could be causing some of it.

Do you have a little "Mole skin" under the string groves ?

After all this, if you are still getting the "Twangs", sorry but you are plucking the string.

Concentrate on the release, make it relaxed and smooooth.

Changeling

Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks.

I went with the bowhush instead of the moleskin on the limbs. I'm also shooting a thin leather glove.

I'll play around with some of the suggestions, but this late in the game, unless I stumble on something I'll wait until after the season closes and get a new string.

I don't think I'm plucking. This has never been an issue before, and that was the first thing that came to mind, so I paid particular attention to it, but who knows.

Thanks again.