Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Rage broadheads

Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Rage broadheads

Anybody shooting traditional equipment have any experience with the Rage 2 blade expandables. My pals that shoot wheels use them and I have seen the wound they make and it isremarkable. Would like to know if any one hastried them, Rage assures me they will open with trad gear?
Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Rage broadheads

I have never seen anyone try it. But I know, you want all the help you can get with penetration out of 50lb and under bows. I am sure the rage would work with a good shot. I sure would use a mechanical that opens in the front. But as always, I plan for the tough bad shot.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It probably isn't a good idea to use mech.'s with traditional bows.I think you'd just be asking for problems.Rage will tell you it's ok and that they'll work-they're in the business to sell Rage broadheads.I've seen the holes made by Zwickey's,Magnus,Steelforce,Bear and alot of other COC broadheads and they all put nice holes in them.I also seen alot of deer piled up within 80yds after being shot with these heads
Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

One of the main reasons I went to trad bows was Murphy's Law works overtime with me. The more moving parts it has, the more likely it is to break/work loose/fail with me.

Put a hole in both lungs, it's going down, even if the point is just a sharp rock. I've made a couple of lousy shots, and nothing short of a "Skillsaw" expandable would have made a difference.

The furthest I've had a critter travel, with even a marginal hit in the vitals, was about 65 yds. I'm sticking with fixed blades.

Chad
Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

The fastest trad bow would still see penetration issues with a mechanical head. Or at least i feel they will. I would not trust it. To many people use mechanicals as a band aid for a poor tuned arrow and/or bow. Id stick with a goodheavy fixed. I prefer two blades with trad gear. I get great penetration with 125-145+ plus two blade heads. All relative to what it takes to tune the arrow. I do not go under 125grains.

Just my 2cents.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:52 PM

i agree w/burniegoeasily . coc is best for trad. & the band-aid part too.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

I think Rage has hit on a GREAT mechanical broadhead and I plan on trying them out of my wheel bow. I might try them out of my recurves if I could get the weight up to 250 gr. Rage only come in 100 gr and that won't produce enough kinetic energy using carbon arrows. I made that mistake once and it cost me the best buck of my life.

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/rage2blade.html

Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 PM

I appreciate the input and I have heard all the arguments, but my question was has anybody actually used them!

I have been bowhunting for 40 years and have only shot recurves, so I have lots of experience with fixed blades. Noneof them leave the hole that the Rage did on the deer a couple guys killed in Illinois last year.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Fourweight- I used one last year! I shot a doe at 18 yards, with my 50# longbow using a 520 grain arrow. It penetrated well, and did leave a good blood trail. I was not as impressed with the results as I have with my cut on impact broadheads (used magnus, zwickey, howard hill and grizzly's). It did do the job, but the head was unusable again. As all of us know, a razor sharp head places in the right spot will do the job. the issue we as traditionalist face is the differance of kinetic energy between are wheel brothers. The compound will if match with proper arrow weight deliver almost twice the kinetic energy of our bow's, thus they can utilize tackle that is not as properly matched as ours. Not slamming anyone or trying to cause arguments just the fact's, based on Dr. Ashby's findings and my own. I on the other hand have no problem using them on turkey's and cann't wait to get a shot at one this fall with the Rage!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fourweight

I appreciate the input and I have heard all the arguments, but my question was has anybody actually used them!
I have not used them.

When I hit what I am aiming at a 1" or 2" wide blade will not matter. I'f I'm off a little (I tend to crowd the shoulder), I want as much penetration as possible.

Quick Reply: Rage broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.