Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Just About to Give Up

Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just About to Give Up

I've been shooting my longbow for about 2 years and I'm not sure I'm any better than I was when I started. I've shot so much this summer that I've developed 'tenniselbow.' Will probably use the compound for deer this fall.

I shot at a range yesterday and there was a guy there hitting that bullseye at 20 yareds about 1 in 3 shots. I felt inadequate.

Anybody else getthis frustrated? I was thinkingabout getting Masters of the Barebow 2 to get my enthusiasm back.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Just About to Give Up

I know your pain. I have a few breakthrus a few years ago. And got back on track. As you probably know, quanity does not add up to quality practice. I see some struggle, and notice they are snap shooting, and thier plucking thier release. I did that for 2 years. I finally got to shooting well for the last year.

I started getting to full draw. Holding for 2-4 seconds, until I was sure I was where I wanted to be,mental note that all wieght of the bow is on my back. And then consciencely, keep drawing back until you can relex that hand and after the shot, your release hand is a good 6" back.

I used to pull back slowly trying to hold on target, and it fly when it hit the corner of my mouth. I shot inconsistently, and bascially wasted my time practicing.

Another thing I did was move down a cheap 40lb recurve. I shot that for months, and then moved back up to my 52lb longbow, then to my 60lb recurve. I also shoot a 66lb longbow, and shoot it well for a few shots, but I know its too much for me. After 10 shots, old habits roll in. But the flip side of shooting the heavy longbow, is when I go back to my 52lb longbow, I feel I can hold it 30 seconds or more.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry is absolutely right-quantity does not add up to quality practice.You have to figure out what makes you inconsistant and work on that.If it's more than one problem area,work on one part until you get that proper form then move on to the next issue.Maybe you're overbowed,maybe the arrows aren't spined right for your bow.Your anchor could be inconsistant,a lousy release and follow-thru.etc.Watch the guy at the range that stacks them in there and don't be afraid to ask him to watch you shoot and let you know what's wrong.Once you put the pieces together,it's absolutely enjoyable each and every arrow
Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get away from that stinkin' target!! Take your bow and some arrows with judo points and go hit the woods. Pick out targets of opportunity like a clump of weeds, a rotten stump, an old beer can, a leaf blowing across the grass, weed stalks... whatever. It's not practice, it's PLAY! Have fun with it and relax. I guarantee you, you shoot better than you think you do.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Besides what wat mentioned, you may want to find a bow that is a little easier on the joints (for your main bow). I know that I have a few bows that kick like a mule that will upset my elbow if I shoot too much.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with what has been said. some times you can over practice, leading to form problems. When I practice, I shot three arrows at a time, at the very most. Rest in between. And quit soon as i feel tired.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

MBB II won't do much for your shooting, but MBB III is due out around mid-winter and will be primarily an instructional video, with two world champion archers doing the instructing.

Don't know of anything to add to what has already been said.

Chad
Old 08-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I especially liked Arthur P.'s suggestion - I lost the fun factor shooting 6 days. I'm now shooting every other day and I feel my youthful exhuberance returning.

Cooling down here in Illinois; almost time to hit the deer woods.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Tox

One thing I have found to be very helpful in learning to shoot well is to get a very light pull bow, (20 lbs or such). Stand close to a backstop and shoot lots of arrows. Work on holding that bowarm still, and getting a good straight back release. Its like a golfer getting his swing in a groove. When I shoot, I shoot for form first and accuracy second. Believe me , the accuracy will come. Dont drop your bowarm and dont peek. In fact, you can even close youreyes to practice form shooting. Tox