Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What A Week!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default What A Week!

This has been one of the better weeks I can remember. Got permission to hunt 140+ acres that has barely been hunted (legally) in 12 years. LOTS of old growth hardwood, including huge white and red oaks. Gobs of last year's acorns still on the ground (rotton)--evidently so many the critters couldn't eat them all. A few big percimmon trees loaded with fruit. Two ponds and a big ditch with water still in it, although our rainfall has been way down the last few years. Deer tracks and trails galore. Went in yesterday and set up a blind, at first glance I thought hogs had been in there (some have been spotted in the area). A closer look revealed that it was actually turkeys that had torn the place up. Tree rats galore. Permission to take any game and/or varmit on the place--actually instructions that I better shoot any coyotes/groundhogs/bobcats/etc. I can. Five people have permission to hunt here, including one fellow and his son who live in VA who will spend very little if any time on the place. Two of the others are my son and me, the last one is a good friend who got me permission to begin with. The only requirement it to keep tresspassers off the land and kill varmits when possible. Is it October yet?

Also, shot a tournament today. I've shot fewer tournaments this year than I have since I started shooting tournaments, a dozen or more years ago. I've shot less period than I have since I took up trad archery, due to a lack of time/too dang many irons in the fire. Woke up a little after 5 a.m., almost didn't go--it was raining. Got my son up and ready, drove into town for breakfast....still raining, almost went home. Decided to go on anyway, figured the shoot was cancelled but didn't have anyone's number to check. Took about an hour to get there, almost turned around a couple more times due to the rain. Almost ran off in a big ditch going up to the place (back in the woods a bit), finally saw several vehicles parked there--whoo-hoo! Shot about half the course in the rain (longbow, wood arrows, and feathers). Remebered why I love my Arrowmaster quiver so much. Very first target was a !$#^#%&!!! jake turkey (my worst target). First shot, I dug a groove in it's back but my arrow stopped in the dirt--blanked the first dang shot! Oh well--I was there for fun and it didn't bother me much--I'm not as competitive as I used to be. About 1/2-way around the course there was a hog target, maybe 20-25 yds. This course was 20 targets, two arrows per target. Had to stretch out to avoid shooting through a bush, first shot was too far forward. Re-adjusted, shot the second arrow. Looked beautiful, until it sailed just under the target. Dang! Two blanks! Oh well......

Finished the course, was pretty satisfied with my shooting (not counting the two misses), especially since I hadn't shot in 2-3 weeks, and only a few arrows when I did shoot. Found out I took first with a 356 or 358, which was the second best score ever shot at that course with trad gear (if I'd hit the two I missed, I would have broken the record....oh well). The fellow that hadset the record came in second with a 298, I think--290-something.

I've had a devil of a time adjusting to shooting with a tab this summer, but I stuck with it and today was a huge confidence booster. I didn't think about shooting with a tab (or not shooting with a glove), and I'm sure that helped a bunch--I've been over-thinking it ever since I switched, and it's consistently bit me in the butt. Now I'm ready for stingray and/or pigs next weekend, and elk next month. What a week!

Chad
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What A Week!

Chad.

It certainly sounds like you had a great week and a week to remember.

Congrats on all aspects of the week.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is fantastic Chad! It's tough to beat getting permission to hunt new ground. It sounds like it will be quite the spot for you and your son.

Nice shootin' at the 3-D course as well. Glad to hear that the tab is starting to work out for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice going Champ!!!

Congrats on your new hunting grounds also!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

great! Nothing like new land to explore and get to know. congrats on the shooting.