Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

HEAVY carbons

Old 03-09-2003, 02:25 PM

Default HEAVY carbons

Ok I got this idea from a few gentlemen on another forum and it worked so well I thought I would post it here. The theory is to load the tip up with weight to get your overall weight to acceptable levels and not to worry about foc. for expample I took some spare gold tip 55/75 shafts that I had and heated the inserts out and added a 6" piece of 8x32 steel rod ( which threads right into the back of a gold tip insert ).just the insert with a 125 grain point and the rod weighs 330 grains and gives me a finished arrow of 590 grains ( 55/75 shaft 30" bop 3 fletch 5" ). I know sounds like flex city but they shoot unbelievably good out to 20 yards ( all the further I have shot them so far )bare shafts impact right with fletched shafts. Just thought ya all might find it interesting and passing this info along
Old 03-09-2003, 02:31 PM

Default RE: HEAVY carbons

Oh forgot to mention My testing was done with a 56" 60# chek-mate recurve. I was skeptical but this is the best I have gotten arrows to fly since I went to traditional maybe my tuning skills suck and this is a way around that lol
Old 03-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

I read that conversation too. It sounded ridiculous but a lot of people were sayin it works so it might be something to check out. Sounds like a pretty simple way to weigh them down too. Now if I can just figure out what shaft size will work for my bows.

Brandan
Old 03-09-2003, 03:49 PM

I also read it. I' m going try t this week. Ordered some new heavier heads and new arrows. Glued my last set in and can' t get them out!

Troy do you like heavier recurves. That Ballistick I got shoots nice but is 67# @ 30" , just a tad heavy for my liking. But it is fast and I shot thru my Monster bag target with my Tradionals at 525 grains!!!! Make you a good deal.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:01 PM

shoot me an email I am a sucker for a good deal
Old 03-09-2003, 04:15 PM

There are some guys out of the Morrison Archery shop up your way who do something similar. They' re using the CarbonWood shaft, mounting a Wensel 110 grain steel broadhead adapter for glue on points, and then topping that with the heavy Magnus Snuffer that they melt a few pellets of lead shot into the back cavity. Broadhead weight is 300+ grains and total arrow weight is 600 grains. I figured it out to 20.2% FOC and then asked around about the forward bias. The target archers responded that it didn' t really matter how heavy the tip was as long as it wasn' t light. Good to go!

Bottom line: These guys say they shoot great all the way out there and that penetration is virtually always pass-thru even on the biggest game and with massive blood trails. Think there' s some posts over on Stickbow' s Leatherwall forum.