Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shooting style questions

Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Shooting style questions

Okay, here goes the second round of questions.

First off is split finger vs 3 under. From what I have read I will probably either gap shoot or shoot instinctive, I don't think string walking is for me. So what finger style works better with these methods? Pros/cons? I know I will just have to try it, but I have to have somewhere to start. To me split finger seems more natural?

The next question he askes on the order form is high, medium, or low wrist grip. Once again, I have no clue. My theory would be medium and you can't be too far off either way if things change?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting style questions

If split is more comfortable for you, then that's where you should start. I always shot 3-under with my barebow compounds but split with my traditional bows. Many tournaments disallow 3-under for traditional class and that's a biggie if you ever decide to shoot a little 3D. For hunting, try both and shoot whichever way you find works best for you.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
bigcountry

I shoot 3under and wished I started out with split. I could't imagine changin now. Most bows are tillered split, and are quieter shot split. Your putting the force right behind the arrow. Where 3 under you are not. Usully you can tune out any problems by raising the nock. But I have seen times you can't.

With that said, 3 under is easier to shoot gap at distances close from 5-20 yards,

Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

On the grip, I prefer a high grip on a recurve, but a low grip on a longbow. If you get the medium or low, and wanted tochange to a high grip, I believe the bow could be altered. But check with Chad.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot instinctive, (as opposed to gap). I've always shot split fingered. My anchor point is my middle fingerbehind my canine. That puts the arrow right under my eye. I prefer a high wrist. It allows me to have my bow arm aligned with the arrow. When I am aligned with the arrow, it goes where I'm looking.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Its all about what you like best. Id suggest trying them all and going from there. I started with split fingers. That was over 25 years ago. 8 years ago I switched to three under. No real reason, just trying something new. I found my release felt better with three under, so I stuck with it. Im now playing with thumb rings. It is a strange feeling, I must say, shooting with your thumb.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Have to go with what works best for you. I shoot split--when I was starting, it never even occurred to me to shoot 3-under. Like BC said, gapping is easier from about 30 yds and in with 3-under, because the gap will be less. I did learn to gap shooting split (didn't know that was what it's called at the time, just did it). I don't conciously gap now, except on really long shots.

I like a medium/low wrist grip--feels more natural and stable for me. I don't do well with an extreme high or low wrist.

Some grips can be modified after the bow isbuilt, but some can't. Some riser designs will only allow for a certain type grip--most really short bows, like the Kodiak Magnum, have a very deflexed riser and will be high-wrist only. A low wrist can be built out if needed, with some sort of wrap.

Chad
Old 08-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

I recently got my first recurve from Chad. I had shot a compound (old Browning xlelerator) for twenty years with split finger. I recently went through the traing for Natonal Archery in the Schools Program. They train to use the three finger under, because it puts less binding pressure on the arrow, which helps prevent the arrow from jumping off the rest during the draw. I switched to teh three under and did notice that the arrow left the rest less on the compound. I ordered my bow tillered fro three under. I went with the medium wrist and find it very comfortable to shoot. I have been really happy with my Hunter II. It is quite and really accurate. It is a blast to shoot.
Oh I would also recomend ordering the clear glass. I ordered the brown thinking it was in the scter of the limbs, but it is the exterior, and covers the wood of the limbs.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Tox

For me high wrist or as I call it ,straight wrist, is more accurate probably because there is less contact with the bow. But Ithink it is a more difficult style to master. And you are in line with the arrow. I even shoot longbows more accurately, high wrist. but you need strong wrists with heavier bows. Once mastered I think arrow flight is more consistent.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to shoot instinctive, go with split. It takes the arrow more out of your line of sight. If you want to gap shoot, go three under. It'll make your gaps much smaller and easier to set. As for three under not being allowed in the traditional class at many3D tournaments, I've never found it to be an issue in over 10 years of shooting 3D at the local and regional levels. Now, it is taboo in the longbow class with some organizations, but I've even seen that rule become more relaxed over the last few yearsat different clubs.

Grip choice is really a personal preferance. I personally like a high wrist grip, but that's me. The best scenariowould be to handle and shoot several differentbows with varying grips, but that isn't always possible. Sounds like this is your first bow. Go with the medium grip. It's a nice compromise between the two. As you shoot more andget the chance to try different bows, you may eventually swing one way or the other on the high wrist/low wrist issue.

Quick Reply: Shooting style questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.