Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shooting style questions

Old 09-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting style questions

What ever works best for you. I sot split finger for about 25 years and switched to three under. I started pinching the sting, for some reason, and switched to cure it. Only thing you will have to do to switch from split to three under, if any thing, is raise thenocking pointa tad. That is, assuming your bow was built tillerd for split finger. Which most are.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure what kind of bow you are shooting for hand placement, most people settle on medium with recurves, longbows are almost always low grip. as far as shooting hand, as already state depends on the bow. Most are tillered (limb length) for split fingers. This gives an equal pull from the string to the limbs. If your bow is 1/8th inch longer on bottom could use three under and be fine, since this bows dynamics are designed this way. Also, the bow is built to be shot a certain spot for hand placement. Most longbows place the center of the bow lower than a recurve to insure proper bone alignment when shooting, hence the low grip. any further questions, pm me.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the information and advice guys. I ended up getting a cheap recurve off ebay to learn with, knowing if I liked it I would get something better later. What I got was an old Western Field (read Montgomery Wards) Bruin recurve. It is 45#@28", and 58" long. It is in good shape, limbs straight, and a good string for $80 to my door.

I am shooting some easton 2018's that I had from years ago, they are still a little over spined even with 145 grain tips I think, but when I get new arrows I will get some 1916's. I have been shooting 3 under and am doing okay I guess, about to get it tuned fairly well. It is a whole new world, that is for sure. I am just taking it easy and letting myself learn slow, not going to try and use it for hunting this year, that will give me all next year to work on it.