Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

My newest hunting bow, And build along.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: My newest hunting bow, And build along.

I saw that tool on tradgang. I got to make one.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I saw that tool on tradgang. I got to make one.
Its a piece of cake to make and will make a world of difference when you tiller. Jut get a piece of wood about 4-6" long. Mine is 5.5". Drill a hole in the center that will allow a pencil to push through, then drill a counter sink hole with 1/2" bit ,I think, heck, one just smaller than the nut that a pencil with thread through. Then just tap you nut in. No need to glue it in.

The bow is now tillered.

Here is a braced pic. I forgot to add one in my last post.

And at full draw. She is 63lbs at 30".

She will lose a few pounds once I do the final sanding, fine tune tillering, and shooting in. I have shot her about 12 times and she is a great shooter, if I say so myself. Very snappy bow. I cant wait to try her out on a deer of hog. I had a tad bit of set. I was able to keep just a bit over 1" of reflex, which im happy with because once the bow rests, Ill gain some back. If I could have gotten that 1 3/4" out of the oven, id have even more. Oh well. I now have a design to work with on my next bow, so I wont have to leave the wood so think and do as much wittling. The next one I make with ipe and boo will hold more reflex due to the fact I will cut my stave closer to its tillered thickness. This is my first ipe boo combo so I played it safe and made everything overly thick. Im now going to leave her alone till I get back from the lake. Ill do the fun stuff when I get back Mon.. All thats left is; shape the handle, cut a shelf, shape the tips, make a string, sand, and finish.

Here is the tips. I think the bow will gain even more relfex back after resting. I had her bent over the tiller tree for a while. I think ill end up with close to the 1.25" possibly.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh yea, the right limb is atad heavier than the left. About 1/8" difference in tiller. I did this on purpose. I want a bit of possitive tiller so Ill have a weaker limb on top. The last third of the limb on the right is a bit stiff looking, ill fix that when I deal with the tips. Ill also loosen the limbs a bit at the fades. I want just a bit more working limb there. Other than that, you can put a fork in the tillering.Ill fine tune and it will all be good.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM

very nice Burnie. So when do you go into full production of these bows. LOL All you guys building these bows is starting to give me the itch to try it myself, But alass I don't have the space right now to do it. So I guess Russ is stuck witht he job of building me one. LOL

Again Burnie she is starting to look great.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

very nice Burnie. So when do you go into full production of these bows. LOL All you guys building these bows is starting to give me the itch to try it myself, But alass I don't have the space right now to do it. So I guess Russ is stuck witht he job of building me one. LOL

Again Burnie she is starting to look great.
PA
Thanks. It might not be a bad ideato produce this combo. Just shooting it, with out all the fine tuning, was impressive. I really like this combo. It is a very fast shooting combo. I really like it. Very smooth draw, easy hold with no real stack.

Yea, Russ needs to get on those bows. He keeps telling me he is waiting for lams to come in. I think he is too busy playing.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Speaking of Russ;;;;

Russ, since you talked me into doing this build along, how about a lam bow build along ????

I think my next bow is going to be a lam bow. I want to build a new reflex/deflex form and try out my new, homemade lam grinder. That would be my belt sander with an adjustabletable I built under it.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kent

It's taking shape nicely.

Russ, since you talked me into doing this build along, how about a lam bow build along ????
Yeah Yeah Yeah JJJJJJJJEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH I only ordered the lams for the 2 bows I have in the works yesterday and they probably wont ship till next week.

Greg's bow will be the one I do the build along with, but Bigcountry dont want to see another lam bow build a long so I will have to make sure I put a warning at the top of the thread for him not to read it

The other bow I am going with Red Elm and Yellow Heart as I could not get any Jatoba[:@]

On another note I have a lot of real nice riser material coming, 2 pieces of Yellow Heart,2 lenghts of Purple Heart, 2 Leopardwood, 1 Bubinga, 1 Zebrawood and 1 Cocobolo.

Thanks for telling me where to find it

I should be able to make some real nice laminated risersor as Arthurput itPlywood

So I guess Russ is stuck witht he job of building me one. LOL
Chad.

Did I tell you my overheads just went up so I am gonna have to charge you more, everyone else still pays the same

I'll get that mock up riser in the mail either tomorrow or Monday I have caught the dreeded dogs disease and have no energy to do anything.[:@]

It was a real battle to go and do my 3 hours of actual work ( if you can call it work) this morning[8D]
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

That isn't work Russ. As I mentioned this AM when we talked I've been in a ditch running electrical conduit all week. Thats work. Hey kids stay in school!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Kent

It's taking shape nicely.

Yeah Yeah Yeah JJJJJJJJEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH I only ordered the lams for the 2 bows I have in the works yesterday and they probably wont ship till next week.

Greg's bow will be the one I do the build along with, but Bigcountry dont want to see another lam bow build a long so I will have to make sure I put a warning at the top of the thread for him not to read it

The other bow I am going with Red Elm and Yellow Heart as I could not get any Jatoba[:@]

On another note I have a lot of real nice riser material coming, 2 pieces of Yellow Heart, 2 lenghts of Purple Heart, 2 Leopardwood, 1 Bubinga, 1 Zebrawood and 1 Cocobolo.

Thanks for telling me where to find it

I should be able to make some real nice laminated risers or as Arthur put it Plywood

So I guess Russ is stuck witht he job of building me one. LOL
Chad.

Did I tell you my overheads just went up so I am gonna have to charge you more, everyone else still pays the same

I'll get that mock up riser in the mail either tomorrow or Monday I have caught the dreeded dogs disease and have no energy to do anything.[:@]

It was a real battle to go and do my 3 hours of actual work ( if you can call it work) this morning[8D]
Russ,

YOU WORK. LMFAO!!! Your kidding me right? That thing you get paid to do 5 days a week is certainly not work.

Oh since the price went up its a good thing I didn't send you my bill for that nice new logo your using for your avatar yet. Now I can up the price to even things out. How does $65 per hour art-time sound? LOL Hmm times that by the 4 hours into designing it. Yeah that sounds right. LOL!!!

Oh don't be telling everyone you have that Cocobolo, I called it first!!! LOL

Oh by the way Russ..................YOU SUCK!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quick Reply: My newest hunting bow, And build along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.