Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shooting styles

Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
bigcountry

Default Shooting styles

I have a few trad shoots under my belt and have noticed a bunch of different shooting styles. And have tried most of em. Which one works best for you.

1.) The most common I see is the stiff bow arm pull. The shooter looks to be gap shooting but puts his bow arm in position while slowly pulling back concentrating on keeping that bow arm steady and right when they hit anchor, the arrow is gone. I used to do this, but it was fatiging. And think I actually hurt my shoulder doing this for the first year.
2.) A new one I saw, is when the archer draws 60% of the way, and holds for a few seconds (I assume aiming), and then snap shoots the arrow. This seem rather odd to me.
3.) Saw Matt/PA do this, and gave it a whirl. This method will tell you if your overbowed or not. Pull smoothing to 100% draw, but not anchor and pull past draw about 1" or more, and then settle in anchor and shoot. This worked ok but ensured you were not short drawing, but I modified it some.
4.) Just plain ole look at the target and draw back real fast, and let it fly as you hit your anchor. I have seen alot of this. Some good at it, most not.
5.) My new way is bascially like an overbowed compounder. I hold my bow arm too high and draw rather quick (not too fast, but definatly not slow), not aiming or getting on target, locking my anchor in place, then I hold for 2-3 seconds aiming, picking aspotand going thru my steps of (am I at full draw, am I solidly anchored, is my shoulder down, am I putting too much palm in my grip, etc). I have been doing this for 6 months, and it feels right. Reason I keep my bow arm high at first is making sure I consciencely think about my shoulder being down. When I got lazy, espeically with a few heavy bows, I notice my bow shoulder is scrushed up.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting styles

I've tried several different draw sequences. I prefer the slow draw, stiff bow arm, aiming all the way. Hit anchor & let her fly. I've tried holding longer at full draw if I would need to, & I still do well, but I much prefer not having to.

All the other things I've tried I've been very inconsistent.

I have seen one guy who does a 2-3 combo. He comes back about 1/2 way, holds, then continues drawing & like "digs in" on his anchor, then releases.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I've tried several different draw sequences. I prefer the slow draw, stiff bow arm, aiming all the way. Hit anchor & let her fly. I've tried holding longer at full draw if I would need to, & I still do well, but I much prefer not having to.

All the other things I've tried I've been very inconsistent.

I have seen one guy who does a 2-3 combo. He comes back about 1/2 way, holds, then continues drawing & like "digs in" on his anchor, then releases.
I see terry green do that on tradgang. He seems to shoot well. I guess my idea is in any hunting situation, I can't count on doing the slow draw and release. I can count on drawing, and holding for a few seconds. And if after 5-10 seconds, let down.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Combination 3 and 5.
Ican shoot quickly if it is needed, but seldom practice it.
Its easier to speed up your shot with good results then it is to slow it down - in my experiance.

Steve

Old 06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Al lot depends on the poundage that I am shooting. If I'm using a bow over about 60#'s, I pretty much have to swing draw it. That is start with the bow pointing down, use both arms to bring the string back. However, the last 4-6 inches is straight back. If I try to keep a stiff arm pointed at the target before the draw, I usually will not get enough "push" with the bow arm and my shot will usually go to the right (I'm right handed).
Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

My style was #3, exactly, until I read Asbell's book. I tried his method and it gave me such a case of target panic I was never able to get back to the way that had worked so well for me. I still owe the man a punch in the nose.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

What ive always been curious to know is, why do target shooters anchor under their jaw agianst their neck. Ive never been a target shooter, but have tried it to see what the deal is. Ive known guys who are target shooters and hunters. They target shoot with the low anchor and when they hunt, or shoot with their hunting bows, they anchor on their face.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

My style was #3, exactly, until I read Asbell's book. I tried his method and it gave me such a case of target panic I was never able to get back to the way that had worked so well for me. I still owe the man a punch in the nose.
When you say asbells method do you mean number 1, slowly pulling back, starring at the spot? You know what screwed me up with him is he wants people to use a high wrist regardlessif its longbow or high wristed recurve.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope. It'd be method #6. Swing draw. Begin drawing as you begin bringing the bow up. The bow should be on target an instant before you hit anchor. Finish the draw, anchor and release.

I certainly do not recommend it. Gave me an incurable case of snap shooting.[&:]
Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Nope. It'd be method #6. Swing draw. Begin drawing as you begin bringing the bow up. The bow should be on target an instant before you hit anchor. Finish the draw, anchor and release.

I certainly do not recommend it. Gave me an incurable case of snap shooting.[&:]
Oh I remember this. I actually freakin hurt my shoulder doing this more than anything. Anytime I swing up, my bow shoulder aches.

Quick Reply: Shooting styles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.