Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shooting styles

Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting styles

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Nope. It'd be method #6. Swing draw. Begin drawing as you begin bringing the bow up. The bow should be on target an instant before you hit anchor. Finish the draw, anchor and release.

I certainly do not recommend it. Gave me an incurable case of snap shooting.[&:]
Oh I remember this. I actually freakin hurt my shoulder doing this more than anything. Anytime I swing up, my bow shoulder aches.
i do this quite a bit(swing draw)....it works for me....ipretty much shoot the same accuracy reguardless of draw/setupstyle....

my main thing is to make sure that my feet and shoulders are in line with the target(like a golfer) ....sometimes i prefer my stance "Closed" as oposed to "square" i almost never use an open stance.

if im not hitting my spots then ill slow down and shoot like in #1 (basically i hold the bow on target while i draw.)but i dont like to do it practicing...

hunting from a tree stand this is my style(#1) because as soon as i spot the deer i stand up and keep the bow pointed at the animal until i get my chance to draw and shoot....i wouldnt dare use a "swing draw" while hunting deer. Rabbits yes....deer no.

to me stance/shoulder angleis the most important....if i ignore it, i shoot poor.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

4.) Just plain ole look at the target and draw back real fast, and let it fly as you hit your anchor. I have seen alot of this. Some good at it, most not.
Yep.... thats me...... and I fit nicely into the majority of that catagory. [&o]

Here lately I've been going outside to shoot with one arrow so I can take my time and practice my form and everything.... I usually come back inside after about 5-10 minutes without an arrow.... feeling rather stupid for pursuing such a ridiculous thing.... that is until about 30 minutes goes by and I have another arrow patched up with new feathers and I'm at it again for another 5-10 minutes.

Frustrating as hell. I shoot a lot... and I've been at it for two years.... and my improvement is only what I'd class as fair. There are weeks at a time where I'll shoot from 15 yards and lump arrows together on a dinner plate sized target.... then another few weeks where I'll shoot three on then miss the whole damn target by a couple FEET and have positively no idea what I did wrong. If I knew what the problem was I could probably solve it... but good Lord I'm lost!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:42 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've seen all of the ones described and a few more, and tried most of them at one time or another. The dedicated "Asbell" style is the one that, for me, is easiest to spot. Hunker, swing draw, snap-shoot. I believe I've heard from more people that said it's caused them problems than have said it works for them. G. Fred has some good information in his books and vids, but I strongly recommend against learning to shoot that way. I've never seen a consistently accurate shooter that uses that style--and I've been to hundreds of tournaments over the years, from TX to PA.

The shooters that I have seen that are consistently accurate have a very controlled shooting style--the better ones are poetry in motion. They just amaze me. Nothing is rushed or random--very controlled, very concise, very consistent. That takes work--I've been working on it a while, and still am.

What I've "graduated" to, at least for now, is this (when I do it right anyway). If possible I get my feet set with my bow-arm shoulder paralell to the target (not always possible, even at a tournament--some shots require twisting, stretching out, leaning, etc.) I raise my bow arm, then try to pick a tiny spot on the target--where I want the arrow to go. When I feel I'm "there", I draw--not fast, not slow. I get my anchor, then apply more back tension--the idea for me is the same as pulling the trigger on a gun--I don't know exactly when the release will happen. I try to maintain focus on the spot after the release (one of the harder things for me to do--I catch myself trying to "peek" and see where I hit), and follow through with the shot--the only thing that moves is my string hand, straight back a little. If I'm having problems, I try to exaggerate the follow-through--this will often help me figure out what I'm doing wrong (bow arm dropped, release hand away from my face, etc.).

If I do it right, this generally works very well for me--but some days......well, we won't talk about those.

I can shoot quick if I need to (i.e., bowfishing, or the deer I shot this past season that only gave me a few seconds), but I rather not. I agree that learning to shoot well in a more controlled manner will make shooting faster much easier--it will be, for lack of a better term, "instinctive".

Swamp, good instruction can go a LONG way. I talked with Rod Jenkins earlier today, and he gave the go-ahead to let it be known that "Masters of the Barebow III" should be coming out mid-winter (they filmed it last week). It's primarily, (if not all?), Rod Jenkins and Larry Yien. I've never met Larry, but I know Rod can shoot, and he can also coach. The previous MBB vids were entertaining, but not what I'd suggest for someone trying to learn to shoot, or learn to shoot better--they were more about showing a little bit about a lot of different styles. I haven't seen it yet (obviously), but I'm confident in recommending MBB III, just because I know Rod. I plan on getting a copy as soon as it's available.

Chad
Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still do #3 and make sure I do not draw off line high or low past my anchor.........that's the key for me. Sometimes I have a tendency to draw back under my anchor, then as I settle in I also have to bring my anchor up slightly and I would shoot a touch high because I would relax and shoot before I completely settled in.

As long as I draw back smoothly with a good deep hook on the string and stay on that correct plane before I settle in I'm money. There are a couple subtle things going on as well as I hit anchor too. I make sure that my elbow has come around and my back is squeezed firmly into the shot just as I release which prevents collapsing.
I definitely take about 1-2 seconds of hold to clear the sight picture just before release too.

So in a nutshell, I see the shot (hard to explain but it sets everything to happen next) , draw with the arrow closely on it's intended path while watching the spot I want to hit. I draw to and slightly beyond my anchor making sure to stay on the correct plane (most important for me). I settle in to anchor and at the same time really transfer the holding weight to as much back tension as I can in a short time before I clear the sight picture and release.

2 things that will get me off target a bit high or low are not drawing to my anchor but UNDER it, and looking back to the tip of my arrow at full draw to see it's position.......this takes up valuable holding time where I should be looking at the spot I want to hit and adds a second or 2 to the shot progression because I then have to re-find the spot I want to hit. Also Igenerally have to re-establish back tension and fully clear the sight pictureall of which adds up toabout a 50/50 chance the arrow is going to find exactly where I want it to hit.

I am FAR more consistent drawing right to my anchor plane, but slightly beyond to make sure I'm not short drawing, all the while NOT taking my eyes off the spot I want to hit.

Also make sure as you set the shot you have picked a spot BEFORE you draw. I know this sounds elementary but sometimes I find myself trying to pick a spot WHILE I AM AT FULL DRAW and there is too much else going on that the mind is trying to process and it's hard to focus.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bow arm goes up and locks and I draw nice and slow just like I'm in a hunting situation. As soon as I hit my anchor point the arrow is gone. I would like to improve on that part and keep my bow back for a second or 2 instead. With a lighter poundage bow I think it would be much easier for me to do.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:14 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

My bow arm goes up and locks and I draw nice and slow just like I'm in a hunting situation. As soon as I hit my anchor point the arrow is gone. I would like to improve on that part and keep my bow back for a second or 2 instead. With a lighter poundage bow I think it would be much easier for me to do.
Thats a beast you shoot. But you seem to do excellent with it.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:17 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I settle in to anchor and at the same time really transfer the holding weight to as much back tension as I can in a short time before I clear the sight picture and release.
This is key for me. To make sure I have all the wieght between my shoulder blades. If I don't, I am short drawing, and then I will see the arrow wobble.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you have the properly spined arrows for your bow,consistancy is the most important aspect to achieving accuracy.Snap/swing shooters can get some decentgroups,but if you're not hitting where your looking(or aiming),groups and accuracy will suffer.Holding asolid anchor and settling in for a sec or 2 will do everything to improve your shooting.