Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

longbows

Old 05-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Default longbows

I recently started shooting a recurve bow, now im thinking of trying a longbow (Bear Montana), does anyone know anything about longbows that could help me with my decision as to wether to try it or not?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: longbows

Hello johnnier,

I'm new to longbows myself, but after years of shooting recurves, shooting a longbow isn't that much different.

It sounds like you have some experience in instinctive shooting, so you will pick it up quickly. Definitely give it a try. I doubt that you'll regret it.

There's just something about drawing back that long-stick and watching those cedar shafts 'plunk' into the target... hard to explain, feels like I'm at Agincourt or Sherwood Forest orsomething.

Traditional archery at its finest IMHO!

Let us know how you like it...

BP
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

i've been shooting a 25# longbow just to test the trad-bow world and i really like it.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

First thing people notice is the general difference in grips. Second they notice how sweet it is to pull a longbow.

I shoot both and love different things about both. Good thing about a recurve is you can generally shoot 4" shorter bow due to the string angle will not be severe. I shoot a straight grip longbow now, and its tough, but I am kinda used to all of them now.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm Like bigcountry. I shoot both. I don't see a huge difference between them. At least no bigger than from one bow to another i.e. one recurve to another recurve.

the grip is the biggest thing. If your used to a deep recurve grip the Bear Montana will seem a bit straight for you at first. But I think you'll get used to it. Just take your time and have fun.

BTW if you don't watch out you'll end up making and shooting selfbows like me. Its addictive.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to shoot recurves, longbows and selfbows. I'd suggest getting one to try out. Personally, I like either straight or mild reflex/deflex. I don't really care for most radical reflex/deflex limbs (except for my Adcock). The only problem I have with longbows is that mybow armelbow starts to hurt a bit if I shoot them too much. [:@]
Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot just about every make of bow. The difference between a long and recurve is minimal. You will get more pop out of a recurve than a long bow (depending on design). If you have been shooting recurves, you will have no problem at all shooting a long bow. No difference in shooting, just a bit difference in the feel. As mentioned, you will feel a difference in the grip of the montana and a recurve.If you dont like the straighter grip,there are lots of longbows out that make recurvetype grips.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good advice already, a lot will boil down to how picky you are about (or how quickly you adjust to) the different grip style. Personally, I had a very difficult time feeling completley comfortable with a traditional longbow grip, but you can find ones out there with grips similar to a recurve if such is the case.