Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Selfbow break

Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Selfbow break

Yeah, I think that's a bit much too, kinda like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Maybe that's something you could try as a last resort. You might consider wrapping the entire handle area with thread, from just above the crack all the way down to the same distance below the grip. Then stick on your shelf plate and leather handle over the wrappings. I did that on a board bow that kept popping off the wood I'd glued onto it to build up the handle area. I used 50-lb test braided dacron trolling line for that, and it never budged again.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

BC, that crack is actually in what is essentially a non-working area of the bow, so I think it's not that big of a problem. What I'd do, if it was me, is this:

1: Take some liquid super glue and try to get some to seep down into the crack.

2: If not, coat the area with epoxy and wrap it tightly with heavy thread, color of your choice. Upholstery thread is what I'd recommend. Just one or two layers should be plenty. Finish the wrap just like you're serving a string to make it look nice. Just make sure to keep the wraps tight. From the photos, I can tell you'll have to remove your leather plate in order to wrap it right. If you've got access to sinew and hide glue, that'd work too.

3: Coat the wrapping with polyurethane to finish.

4: To make the wrap look like a decorative feature instead of a repair, measure down the same distance from the center of the bow and put another wrap there. Epoxy, wrap, poly, just like on the actual repair.

I've done this repair even in working areas of limbs and had it hold for a long time, so it should do just fine right there next to the grip.
Ditto.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

I was going to wrap with some string material like 450. Think that would be a bad idea? If you guys notice the shelf material is sinew. Should I cut that out or just wrap over top of it.

I am thinking wrapping the whole grip area to make it look decent. But haven't made up my mind.

I was looking more at this, and notice that crack is in a very weak area.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The shelf mat'l is sinew?? First time I've heard of using sinew for that.[:-] Somebody must've had more sinew than he needed to use it like that. But that's beside the point.

If it's sinew, I'd leave it be and wrap over the top of it. Most string making mat'ls are coated with wax. If you intend to use it, then get as much of the wax off as you can before using it. Upholstery thread - any fabric store will have it - or braided dacron fishing line will do both a good job and you won't have to worry about wax.

Just be aware that wrapping over the sinew and then applying another shelf covering will change your degree of centershot. In that pic there, it looks like that sight window is cut practically to center anyway. I don't like to critique other's bows, but I think that's cut way too deep. Probably what weakened it in the first place.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Yep, watch for wax. If its string material, it will be pre waxed. You might useraw hideto wrap it. You can get a dog bone, soak it, untwist it. Let it dry and pound it into fibers that you could wrap it with. Ive seen some cool wraps done this way. Hemp cord is good to wrap with as well and adds to the traditional look.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 AM
bigcountry

The shelf mat'l is sinew?? First time I've heard of using sinew for that.[:-] Somebody must've had more sinew than he needed to use it like that. But that's beside the point.

If it's sinew, I'd leave it be and wrap over the top of it. Most string making mat'ls are coated with wax. If you intend to use it, then get as much of the wax off as you can before using it. Upholstery thread - any fabric store will have it - or braided dacron fishing line will do both a good job and you won't have to worry about wax.

Just be aware that wrapping over the sinew and then applying another shelf covering will change your degree of centershot. In that pic there, it looks like that sight window is cut practically to center anyway. I don't like to critique other's bows, but I think that's cut way too deep. Probably what weakened it in the first place.
I thought it was cut way too deep too. I questioned the seller, and he said "this guy knows what he is doing". Now, he won't even email me back. I don't blame him or want anything from him, just wanted to let him know it broke.

It is sorta close to centershot.

Glad I asked about the material. Never thought of the wax.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have yet to cut a shelf into any of my selfbows. It probably helps getting used to shooting them but I have gotten used to no cut in shelf.

Anyway. I agree the shelf cut in was my first thought about why it happened. But I agree with Arther I would wrap it. I would suggest sinew if you can. It shrinks some as it dries so it gets tighter as it tries. But other materials work too.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2008, 07:13 AM
bigcountry

Well, good news keeps rollin in. I got ahold of the bowyer who made this bow. The guy is kind beyond words. He told me to send it back. He wants to wrap area with a butt load of sinew, then he wants to take elk horn and smooth it down and reinforce the front 6-8" (kinda like morrison bows). He feels so bad about the break, he is sending me a 70" yew stave, snake skins, and elk hoof to put tips on my new osage bow.

And I am not saying he is a good guy because he is sending me free stuff, but he gave me some excellent tips on my bowmaking

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's hard to get folks any better, more friendly or more helpful than the traditional crowd, but I do believe the primitive crowd has done it.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

It's hard to get folks any better, more friendly or more helpful than the traditional crowd, but I do believe the primitive crowd has done it.
I keep tellin him, he doesn't have to send me anything. All he keeps telling me is all he wants is a day by day update with pictures on the stave he sends me.

Quick Reply: Selfbow break

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.