Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow repairs?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Longbow repairs?

Help!

I just received an older but appearance-wise unused longbow on the "Bay". Lemonwood with a laminated hand-grip.

Haven't shot it yet, but on abt the fourth draw (no, I wasn't dry firing, I know better, just testing the pull) I heard a "pop" and started looking for cracked wood.

No breaks in the wood itself, but the grip shows a hairline seperation where it is laminated/glued to the main limb... the glue holding the two together has apparently failed along a portion of the bond.

Can this be repaired? The bow seems sound otherwise.

Perhaps I can force some adhesive into the void and clamp it until it dries. If this is viable, what type of adhesive should I use?

I've been wanting a longbow something fierce, and now that I have one I'm scared to shoot it for fear of causing more damage!

Kindly help, one and all if you are able!

Brush Popper
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Longbow repairs?

Brush Popper; I think I may have bid on that same bow. Anyhow, I'd get my money back. I see things only getting worse. Also, consider changing your login name to Bow Popper!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is very common is old bows, when the glue or epoxy wasn't as good as today's, the best thing is to work the handle off totally and reglue using the new types of epoxy and clamping it for 48 hours.

I have succesfully finished unglueing some like that using lacquer thinner and acetone, but don't get it on the laminates ,just apply it to the handle on the open area of the handle.
Make sure the wood is dry from the lacquer thinner before you reglued it.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Kosher has a good suggestion. Also, depending on the bow style, Id suggest wraping the area of the seperation with seinue or some other kind of fiber (even dacron) to hold down the laminate and to hide any ugly flaws created by the pop, and or reglueing. You know, like a horse bow has. Sounds like the handle area has developed some bend in it.

Here is a pic of a horse bow I got from the internet. I know you are working with a long bow, but you can see what im talking about. Notice the whitewraping around the handle.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Success!

I was able to remove the separated piece completely, re-epoxy, clamp and leave it clamped for two days.

Fired about 30 shots with it yesterday with no more problems. Shoots smooth, quiet and hits hard!

I love my recurves but this longbow is a Man's bow, small question about it!

My thanx to all who responded to my dilemma...

BP
Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BrushPopper

Success!

I was able to remove the separated piece completely, re-epoxy, clamp and leave it clamped for two days.

Fired about 30 shots with it yesterday with no more problems. Shoots smooth, quiet and hits hard!

I love my recurves but this longbow is a Man's bow, small question about it!

My thanx to all who responded to my dilemma...

BP
Great, glad it worked for ya. What epoxy did you use? And you do understand that epoxies will soften just a few degrees higher than what they cured at. So be careful not to let you bow get much hotter than the temp it cured at, while its strung. I always bake my bows at about 160 degrees to cure the epoxy. But that is when i make them, not fix them. Not a good idea to bake a bow that you fixed. Just becareful to not let it get very hot while its strung or it can delaminat agian.