Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

In compliance with Section 1 of the Man Law

Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 AM

Default In compliance with Section 1 of the Man Law

62" 59@28

Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: In compliance with Section 1 of the Man Law

OH!!!![:-]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

OH!!!![:-]

Hey now, I was content with what I had until ya'll bozo's started posting pics of those freakin widows and morrisons!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm just thankful it'll be too heavy for me at my draw length when you decide to sell it.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM

They make lighter limbs everyday [8D]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Nice bow! Been tempted to get one myself, but always talk myself out of it. I love the bow I shoot now, have taken lots of "trophies" with it (both 4-footed and wood/metal/plastic), and it's already got lots of "beauty marks" on it. If I got a $1,200 bow, it would most likely never leave my shop for fear of scuffing it. Oh well.......maybe when I get rich and famous I'll splurge.......

Chad
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 AM
bigcountry

You got to see what the performance of the bow is. I heard, they will smoke a widow longbow. Can't wait to shoot it at the Balt Trad Classic

Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Don't take this the wrong way, but the BW longbow's I've shot weren't speed demons. Won't take an ACX to "smoke" one.

The ACX is fast, no doubt about it--one of, if not the fastest trad bows on the market. That means I could miss anywhere from 5-20fps faster.........[:@][8D]

Chad
Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LBR

Don't take this the wrong way, but the BW longbow's I've shot weren't speed demons. Won't take an ACX to "smoke" one.

The ACX is fast, no doubt about it--one of, if not the fastest trad bows on the market. That means I could miss anywhere from 5-20fps faster.........[:@][8D]

Chad
Chad, I am in this speed kick. I got this zipper recurve which is extremely fast, and seem to be able to hit anything I point at. Best 300 dollar I spent. On my martin bows, I can't consistently hit back to 35 yards. But can with this zipper. All I was thinking was faster bow gave me less drop and more margin for error?? Alot has to do with teh handle, maybe the 60# weight gives me a cleaner release. Maybe the arrow is tuned alot better to the bow. But I am shooting a 620gr arrow at over 185fps.Cant' waitoneday to go moose hunting with this combow.My other bows are shooting 500gr arrow at 173fps.

I was going to order a BW PLX, but still scared too after your reports. I have high expectations for a $1000 bow. I do want to try one of Chek-mates Crusaders. But really want it to outperform my martins. I heard a 58# crusader really shoots fast.

I heard these ACX were fast but also possibly fagile due to their slim limb design.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I can only give you my own experiences, so take it for what it's worth. I've shot some faster bows than I own now, and I've set my by up for more speed--I didn't shoot it as well. I've shot tournaments where I shot a better score with my selfbow than I did with my longbow--and the selfbow is WAY slower.

There's gobs of variables that come into play--you listed a lot of them yourself. There's also the mental thing--if you believe in a bow, you'll shoot it better. Some guys put more faith in a bow that costs more--not saying you do, but that's just a thing some folks have. I used to know a guy who could shoot the lights out with certain brand names that he knew cost a lot. With a bow that didn't cost much, he couldn't--it was purely a mental thing. I have no doubt in my mind that if he could have been convinced the cheap bow cost $1,000, he would have shot it great too.

I didn't know you were thinking about a PLX. Safe bet would be take advantage of their "try before you buy"program. I liked the new BW longbow just fine--HUGE improvement over the old design, IMO--but to me, performance was very average. I didn't shoot it through a chrony, but it seemed to be noticably slower than my Crusader. It wasn't a "dog" by any stretch, just not a speed demon.

As far as that goes, my Crusader isn't a speed demon either. When I chrony'd it, I averaged 187 fps shooting just under 10 gpp (30.5" draw). Not bad at all for a longbow, but not as fast as some. I can pick up a little more speed with a different (lighter) string, but when I tried that my shooting suffered a little. I could also go with a shorter bow and pick up a little speed, but I didn't shoot the 64" quite as well as I do my 66".

I wouldn't shoot the first two ACX bows I had my hands on (both made by O.L.)--I was afraid to. The limbs seemed downright delicate. I'd heard of some folks unstringing them accidently by grabbing the end of a limb to pick them up. Larry and John have modified the design just a tad--or that's what I've heard anyway--so that may not be the case anymore. I know the new factory in MI is still selling them faster than they can make them.

Wish I had something I could send you to try out--heck, you might not like a Crusader at all. The only one I have is my personal bow, and (sorry) it's not leaving! lol

Chad

Quick Reply: In compliance with Section 1 of the Man Law

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.