Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

1 pc. vs 2 pc. takedown

Old 03-31-2008, 09:56 AM

Default 1 pc. vs 2 pc. takedown

I have never owned or shot a 1 pc. recurve. I would be interested in any opinions.

Also looking for a supplier for heavier arrows, 500 grn. plus...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1 pc. vs 2 pc. takedown

Try Alaska bowhunting supply for the heavy arrows. They sell Grizzly stiks that are a heavy arrow. I think its alaskabowhuntingsupply.com

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM

I haven't shot many 1pc recurves that I like, but I finally found one that I love.... The only downside is you have to replace the entire bow if you want to move up or down in draw weight.

Yourtakedown bows are generally a tad heavier, which I like. And they are convienent for travel.

A bow is such a personal thing, just get out there and try as many as possible.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started with a one piece recurve. In fact I've only got one takedown.

I like them all. Like double creek said. Try a bounch and see what feels right. Get out to a Trad event this spring or summer and just try shooting a bunch. I usualy try to make it to Cloverdale (IN) just to look. They have plenty of used bows there. Most people let you take them over the the practice range to fling a few. I think there are a few gatherings that may be closer for you too.

If your used to a heavier bow look at once with bigger risers etc. I like takedowns or some of them but am not a big fan of BIG riser bows, takedown or not. But I shoot selfbows so even a one peice like the old bear Grizzly I started on seems heavier to me.

One other nice thing about once peice bows is there are a ton of older bear (and other) bows out there that are still awesome bows. They can be had for very little around 100 bucks will get you a fine one piece.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
bigcountry

The great thing I can say about a t/d is I can ride my road king to shoots and get togethers and still pack my bow and arrows.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

The great thing I can say about a t/d is I can ride my road king to shoots and get togethers and still pack my bow and arrows.
BC,

One our local shooters has a 1pc longbow and he rides his hawg to all the shoots.. He's got a case that sticks straight up behind the seat... Looks light a tight fit squeezing under an overpass! lol..
Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

BC,

One our local shooters has a 1pc longbow and he rides his hawg to all the shoots.. He's got a case that sticks straight up behind the seat... Looks light a tight fit squeezing under an overpass! lol..
I have tried it with it horizontially on the back seat strapped down, but I think I would cry it blew off.