Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

correct arrows

Old 02-17-2003, 09:04 AM

Default correct arrows

I am shooting a recurve with 51#@28" my draw is 29" the length of my arrows are 29.75" would it be ok to shoot wooden arrows in the 55-60lb class or should i shoot the 50-55lb class; if i go with the heavier arrows what could some of the draw backs be. i would like to mention i use a 140 gr 2 blade broadhead. i would appriciate any input. thank you
Old 02-17-2003, 02:15 PM

Default RE: correct arrows

Ok for the disclaimer first : I am very far from a pro on wood arrowsI believe you would be underspined even with the 55-60 shafts for the setup you described.With 29 3/4" and 140 grn point I think you would need something closer to 60-65 maybe even heavier.just my .02 for what its worth have a good one
Old 02-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Troy. If you have a center shot recurve you' ll want heavier spine weight because you don' t have to deal with the archers' paradox. Whereas longbows require relatively weaker spines so the shaft can flex about the riser. A heavier head will result in weaker spine also, so you' ll need a stiffer arrow to compensate. You' re pulling about 53# so if you have an arrow that' s 55-60, you don' t have much clearance. eh I' m not an expert either, but you might want to start at 60-65 and 65-70 to see what' s working better. The drawback of shooting an arrow that' s too heavy will be your arrows hitting left. The reason they' ll hit left is ' cause they won' t flex enough so they' ll just push outward. The opposite is true of weak spine. Just don' t shoot them with broadheads first. eh. Try bare shaft tuning with field points. If bare shafts shoot where you want them to, then you' re alright.

Brandan
Old 02-17-2003, 03:47 PM

Center shot bows do have some parallax effects. Much less than with a non-center shot bow but it is still there due to the inertia of the front of the arrow and the initial accelleration of the nock end. This causes the arrow to bend slightly. My advice would be for you to buy a sampler pack of different spined arrows and see what flies the best. I small investment to ensure good shooting. Better yet, if you have friends with wood arrows, borrow theirs or refletch their old shafts and try them out. Experiment! Dick
Old 02-17-2003, 06:29 PM

Tough question as everyone is somewhat different in their form and release.

Keep in mind that those 55-60 spine arrows are for 28" . You' re going to need to figure total length including broadhead clearance. So, you' re now 29" or more in length..further weakening spine.

If you can, find someone with some of the different arrow spines you want to try.
That' s an excellant way and most people are very willing to help.