Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Release bite

Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Release bite

Steve's post in another thread brought this to mind, about noticing things while shooting by yourself. I was shooting over the weekend and was messing around with my release hand. I started talking a deeper bite to the first crease in my fingers! What a world of difference this makes for me. This tightened up my groups very nicely! I used to always try and have the string at the tips of my fingers. I just gave it a thought and tried a deeper bite and glad I did! I might even trim a bit more off my tabs!

I love this Traditional stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Release bite

Everybody wants to get that string off thier fingers as cleanly as possible. But I feel putting the string to far on the fingers causes too much tension in the hands and less control. At least thats what I think goes on.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:15 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That's what is usually referred to as a "deep hook", and it does work. Dunno why, doesn't really make sense to me, but as long as it works, who cares if it makes any sense?

Chad
Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree doesn't make sense, thats why I would try and have the string at my tips. I'm wondering if I should trim more off the end of my tab?? I have some excess on there with this "deep hook"!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting Joe! I know if I take too much of a bite that arrows going to some weird places. The old man always told me take the smallest bite you can which will help avoid a "pluck" release. It could be that you were taking a very fine bite on your fingers and you might have found the sweet spot now. My bite is usually right at or slightly above the crease in my fingers.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Steve-o, I do think I found the sweet spot!! I also noticed that I have a better follow thru, it kinda just happens now, I don't have to "think" about it!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome and good to hear! Your sure getting into this Joe, I love to see it! Keep it up man.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup, I also use a deep hook. I think it all goes back to how the hand can be relaxed to a greater degree. The more relaxed the better the string can rip though the fingers without the fingers actually releasing the string. Clear as mud?

The "Paint Can" scenerio.

Try picking up a full paint can taking a deep hook (first joint) and relax the entire hand. You don't need much tension at all to keep the can up.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Interesting Joe! I know if I take too much of a bite that arrows going to some weird places. The old man always told me take the smallest bite you can which will help avoid a "pluck" release. It could be that you were taking a very fine bite on your fingers and you might have found the sweet spot now. My bite is usually right at or slightly above the crease in my fingers.
Im the same way. If I get the string close to the joint of my fingers, I pluck the string.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deep hook works because your fingers are on the string in the same place--every time.People who pull the string on the fingerpads don't get the consistant placement like the first crease