Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

advice in arrow building

Old 02-16-2003, 05:30 AM

Default advice in arrow building

i want to start building my own arrows and have been reading a few article on how th do so; i just have some questions that maybe my friends on tradhunting can help me with .
1st- can i start with a tru center tapering tool?(i heard some bad things about these tools)not being able to get the tool aligned on the arrow.
2nd- what is the gasket method on applying finishes.
3rd- do you have to buy all those finishes and sealers from the catalog companies
or can i get what i need from the hardware store (like just use stains and polyuriethane) any help i would appriciate
Old 02-16-2003, 05:56 AM

Default RE: advice in arrow building

#1 I' ve used a True Taper tool without any of the problems that I have seen posted. As for being off center, I found that continueing to rotate the tool under pressure and using the proper guide tube will correct this problem.
#2 The gasket lacquer method has been covered over and over. I' ve used it and it works well for people that either don' t have patience or those who need their arrows in a hurry. (Shooting tomorrow) I think that Min-Wax is a better system. Gasket lacquer is NOT water proof, polyeurothane is.
#3 Min-Wax is at your local harware store. Gasket lacquer can be bought from hardware stores or archery supply houses. The gasket lacquer that I have used that was purchased from hardware stores, doesn' t work as well. If you use gasket lacquer, be sure to dip the tapered ends after you taper the shafts. Glue compatability is an issue with gasket lacquer also. Cresting paint too! Hope this helps somewhat. Dick
Old 02-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: advice in arrow building

As I have only worked with aluminum and carbon arrows I am not sure what is the best method for sealing wood. In the past I have used Bohning products exclusively, they are pricey but very high quality. I have had other cresters tell me about other lacquer paints at you local Wally World or other stores that work just as well. My advice is try different combinations on a test arrow till you get what YOU want. Remember to finish the entire arrow complete with feathers, nock, and point, then shoot it to see how your combination holds up. It may take you a few days but in the end you will know how to do your arrows in the future.
Towerrat

P.S.
Don' t forget to jot down
some notes as you go. With
notes you can impart your
experiments on to us.