Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Draw Weight Phenomenom

Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Draw Weight Phenomenom

I’d like to know why some bows pull feel heavier or lighter then the actual pulling weight. How does 50 pounds of pull feel different on different bows. Is there really an explanation to this or is it just a phenomenon?

Is it just a product of the draw force curve only?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Draw Weight Phenomenom

All I can come up with is the length of the lever. Longer thinner limbs feel softer than shorter thicker at the same weight. Plus, longer limbs load its elastic potential on a longer plan. That would be my first assumption, or I should say, thats my guess.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think some stack allot more then others when they get towards the end of the draw, mine does that and I don't care for it!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It is a weird thing. The DFC has a part to play, for sure......but even bows that show a gain of 2-3 lbs per inch on a scale can feel different. One thing I've noticed--every bow I've ever drawn that had carbon in the limbs felt heavier, or at least stiffer, to me. Some had it in the core, some on the outside to replace the glass, one I drew was a whole lot worse than any other, another I drew it wasn't very noticeable........but that's been my perception with every one of them. Dad-gumed if I know what does it.

Chad
Old 02-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I knew because I'd be abusy and famous bowyer if I did.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

I would also say design plays a part in it, as well as composition materials.

I swear bamboo limbs, tonkin cane in particular, draw smoother.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:25 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

No doubt design and materials play a role--what puzzles me is when two bows that are pretty much identical according to the scale have a different feel--i.e., one feels a few lbs. lighter than the other.

Yew limbs are my favorite to date, in a longbow anyway. In a well made recurve, I don't know that I could tell much if any difference in the feel from one limb core to the next.

Chad
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

on top of what you all have said

i think different handle and grip designs have an effect on the way that poundage is percieved.....

somthing that feels different in the hand than what your used to isnt as comfortable,(because your not used to it)or more comfortable(because it fits yourhand better)and sometimes that can make a bows pull feel heavier or lighter....

i think its all relative to what your used to...

but if you dont let the thought enter your mind it only takes abouta second to draw a bow to anchor....once your there you wont notice the difference.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Duane

I would also say design plays a part in it, as well as composition materials.

I swear bamboo limbs, tonkin cane in particular, draw smoother.
Yes they do. Im making a composit with a power boo core and Ipe lams. It should be a snappy bow. I made one recently with a walnut core, bamboo backing and an ash belly. It is a very smooth shooter.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Material plays a part, but isn't the be-all end-all. Chek-Mate has experimented with bamboo, and found no significant benefits vs. pacific yew--in their designs, plus working with bamboo has drawbacks. I've shot a fewbows with bamboo limbs--some were very smooth, some weren't.

Mybet is a bow designed around a specifc core/material will work better than just adding that particular material to a given design.

Chad

Quick Reply: Draw Weight Phenomenom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.