Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Need some advice

Old 02-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need some advice

Hello everyone,
I'm considering purchasing a recurve but I have some questions.
1. I've never shot a bow (well I did shoot a compound twice and have shot a crossbow and hunted with it quite a bit), would I be better off waiting on the recurve and getting a compound first? In which case I'll be picking up another crossbow, because the compound I want is out of my reach finically .
2. I know this is mostly opinion but that's what I want. Would someone who is fairly experienced and very passionate about hunting but very inexperienced at archery be ready to hunt by next October with a recurve? Understood that practice would be required and I would do my best to put it in.
3. What is a good recurve that I could be good enough to hunt with by October for around $400 including arrows, and quiver. The lower price would be better.

I realize some may object to my using a crossbow, and I'm fine with ppl's opinions because it is legal here and I don't have a problem with it although I would much prefer to hunt with another weapon. My biggest concern is not being able to harvest an animal in a humane manner, which is my concern with the recurve. I realize the recurve is more than able, so this is more about your opinions as to which course of action would be best.

also I have always wanted to shoot a recurve even more than a compound but I thought that I would shoot the compound first and then get into the trad. side things, well as I can't get the compound I want I thought that maybe I should just go to the recurve.

Thanks for any help,
Shawn
Old 02-04-2003, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Need some advice

Shawn, I'll do my best to address your questions in order:
1) If hunting with traditional equipment (recurve) is what you really want to do then start with a recurve. Granted, a compound can be more forgiving and will usually take less time to become proficient with but the sooner you begin shooting a recurve the sooner you will become proficient with it. And, I think you'd be suprised how quickly you can become proficient with a recurve pending it is set up correctly and fits you.
2) Only time will tell. Like I said, the sooner you begin practicing, the sooner you'll be proficient. Obviously it depends on the person, as some progress faster then others.
3) To select a bow, try to go to as many traditional shoots in your area as possible. You'll have the opportunity to shoot a lot of bows and make a decision which fits you the best. Also, strongly consider purchasing a used bow. You could easily find a very good recurve in the 300$ range. Also, and this is very important, don't overbow yourself. I repeat, don't overbow yourself! For the average guy out there, I'd consider something in the 40-45# range. This is more then enough to handle most whitetail sized animals yet you'll have an easier time learning proper form when you're not struggling with the bow's weight.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Shawn, I'll do my best to address your questions in order:
1) If hunting with traditional equipment (recurve) is what you really want to do then start with a recurve. Granted, a compound can be more forgiving and will usually take less time to become proficient with but the sooner you begin shooting a recurve the sooner you will become proficient with it. And, I think you'd be suprised how quickly you can become proficient with a recurve pending it is set up correctly and fits you.
2) Only time will tell. Like I said, the sooner you begin practicing, the sooner you'll be proficient. Obviously it depends on the person, as some progress faster then others.
3) To select a bow, try to go to as many traditional shoots in your area as possible. You'll have the opportunity to shoot a lot of bows and make a decision which fits you the best. Also, strongly consider purchasing a used bow. You could easily find a very good recurve in the 300$ range. Also, and this is very important, don't overbow yourself. I repeat, don't overbow yourself! For the average guy out there, I'd consider something in the 40-45# range. This is more then enough to handle most whitetail sized animals yet you'll have an easier time learning proper form when you're not struggling with the bow's weight.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Thanks for the reply. As far as teh weight goes I was thinking in the 50-60# range as I've drawn back several 60# bows and didn't have any problems, I'm also a pretty big guy ( played a little football in college as a lineman ) but maybe I'll keep it on hte lower end of that for right now.
Thanks,
Shawn
Old 02-04-2003, 03:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's a tough call to make. If you are passionate about the sport, and can dedicate the time to it, and enjoy it, you could be ready. You might have to limit your distance the first season, but you should be able to hunt. There are lots of great bows on the market. Depending on your draw length, you may be able to pick up a good used bow cheap. You can get a new custom bow in the $200 range if you choose to go that route, and that would leave plenty for other supplies. Traditional bows will do the job as humanely as any weapon, as long as you do your part. I agree with keeping the weight low--50# will shoot through any whitetail, and is much easier to manage after you are cold and have been sitting still for a while.

Good luck!

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 02-04-2003, 04:43 PM

Shawn

If Traditional equipment is what you really want to shoot then I'd say go ahead with trad. equipment first.

As far as being proficient with it by hunting season you need to establish your expectations. How good do you think &quot;good enough&quot; is? and, At what distance?? If you're good enough at 15 yards and you only take high percentage shots at 15 yards or less.. there should be no problem. You may be a natural and pick it up quick but don't plan on being ready for any &quot;long range&quot; shooting.

If you decide to proceed with Trad. equipment, there is some good used equipment out there to get you started without spending a fortune. I think you'll find that most of the guys shooting Trad. equipment are happy to help and many are quite willing to let you shoot their bows to see what you like.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Shawn,
your desire to make as humane a kill as possible is exactly what every hunter should strive to accomplish, but remember this, no matter what type of equipment or weapon you use, you must practice, practice, and practice some more. Traditional equipment is very enjoyable and easy to learn, when your talking about bowhunting I would argue that the majority of kills are made at ranges of twenty yards of less. That being said, you must know your limits, even if you hunt with the hottest, fastest, most up to date wheeled bow you have a limit. Take your time this winter and do some research at local archery clubs that feature traditional equipment, if you need help in that area feel free to ask, I am sure there is bound to be a fellow sportsman on this forum in your area. By the time spring gets here you can be outfitted with all of your equipment and ready to start practicing. Have fun! Enjoy what you accomplish.
Towerrat164
Hunt hard, and pray harder, both offer great rewards.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with everyone, if traditional is the way you prefer to go, then do it. Depending on your draw length (which is generally 1-2 inches shorter than a compound), you may be able to choose from a wide variety of off the shelf bows. Definetely stay in the 45-50 pound range. Don't get the suprise of just pulling back a bow a few times and think you can handle it. I'm sure you are as strong as you say, but you will be using different muscles then you are accustomed to using. Let me give you a few for instances on that which may make you laugh, I know I still do. As yourself, I played football (guard), and was working out benching around 350 pounds. I started taking up canoeing. I thought man I can lift this 70 pound canoe over my head at the portage no problem. Well, I got it over my head alright but only made it about 10 yards before collapsing. Then a young lady, couldn't have been more then 120 pounds walked right on by me with her canoe over her head. And never stopped once. Here is another, I was at my cousins farm and we went to a nearby farm to get some hay, It was raining that day and the bails were wet, well, I was able to carry one bail at a time and thought I was doing good, when another young lady (again about 100 pounds) walked to the truck carrying one bail in each hand. ----Just some food for thought, and a good laugh.
As far as being ready for hunting this season, I'm sure, with practice you can do it. Just start off slow and give your muscles a chance to heal between sessions. Don't try to overdo it beause you may pick up some bad habits. Just let it come to as it comes, and don't try to rush yourself by thinking, man alive, I have to be ready by the season.
Good luck to you!
Also, pick up a few books on the subject. They should help you. Here is one that I would suggest:
http://www.byronferguson.com/gear_book.htm
Old 02-05-2003, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot just about everything there is to shoot, just about any way it can be shot: selfbows to longbows, recurves to compounds, round wheels, hatchet cams, solo cams, sights/fingers, sights/release, no sights/fingers, no sights/release, 3-under, split fingers, ledge or bowlock releases, mechanical releases, instinctive, gap, string walking, face walking... Even crossbows.

There are so many ways to shoot a bow and so many different types of bows to shoot that I can't understand why anyone would limit themselves to only one type and only one style. There are definitely some styles I enjoy more than others. I enjoy traditional but have physical problems that prevent me from shooting as much draw weight as I want to be for hunting tougher animals, like big hogs.

So, for that kind of hunting I got a round wheel compound that I set up with a flipper rest. I shoot it using a combination of instinctive and gap and have beaten open class shooters at a couple of local 3D shoots doing it. It's as close to being trad as I can get and still have wheels on a bow, but it's a lot easier to shoot accurately due to the letoff.

That might be an option you could explore if you want to try traditional but are hesitant about jumping in with both feet right off the bat. You can pick up old roundwheel compounds for a song at flea markets and pawn shops and have them rerigged fairly inexpensively.

But, if you want to shoot a recurve then just do it. There are some itches that simply will not go away until they're scratched.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice, I do believe I am going to get a recurve, not sure what yet though, I'm thinking a bear grizzly or a martin hunter. Any opinions on those two bows?

Quick Reply: Need some advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.