Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Instinctive shooting vs throwing a baseball analogy

Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Instinctive shooting vs throwing a baseball analogy

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I guess I should have said, "I'm firmly convinced it's the better way for many people."

Not a whole lot of people these days have the free time to spare to learn pure instinctive shooting and learning to use an aiming system from the very first will get them on target and shooting fairly well in a short amount of time.

I also have a lot of years as a competitive shooter, and a lot of those targets are stretched out there a ways. If someone wants to win tournaments consistently, then they've got to have an aiming system. I know most of the big boys claim to shoot instinctive, because a lot of tournaments insist only instinctive is legal. Absolutely useless rule, because there's no way to prove or disproveit if someone's using a gap. But you can bet your life that most of 'em, if not all, are using some kind of system.
I 100% agree with you! Good post Art!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only brought this up because I’ve heard that analogy before, and thought hhhmmmm, I could be battling uphill since batters in LL put their lives in danger stepping to the plate with me on the mound, defensive backs playing football loved me at QB, and it was a good thing I could jump and battle on the inside, cause I’d brick every 3 I tried.

That being said I am developing a decent method of noticing my arrow but not really using it to aim. Maybe once the weather breaks I’ll try the point on and gap thing again, but last summer when I tried it, it seemed like I had too many things to think about.

Thanks for the insightful debate.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 AM
Banned

yes and no

some people ARE naturally more coordinated than others, however some people also have a "talent" for things

I'd say a generalized rule would be anyone thats realy good in sports - like the great Paul Schafer - would also tend to have instinctive archery some more easily
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree withwhats alreadysaid. The analogy is for instinctive shooting. If you are not very cordinated, you can always use other methods of shooting.