Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

I haven't had the urge to shoot a compound since I started shooting traditional. I've probably shot a dozen or two arrows through a compound in the last 15 years or so, but it just didn't "do it" for me. If I ever get to a point where I can't shoot my longbow or recurve, I may consider a compound again.....hope I never have to make that decision.

Bowdoc, don't get me wrong here but if you had penetration problems on deer with a 65# recurve, my bet would be it wasn't the bow itself. I say that because the traditional bow has proven itself time and time again over the years to be capable of killing anythinga compound will. Fred Bear killed an elephant pulling 70 or 75#. Water buffalo have been killed with less than 70#. Moose and elk are killed with less than 50#. I have pictures of a black bear, estimated at over 600#, that was killed with 52# (complete pass-through including the off-side leg). A lady I know killed a record book gemsbok pulling less than 50#.

I'm not doubting your experiences, but I do want to clarify that the traditional bow is a very efficient and viable hunting weapon, as long as we do our part.

Chad
Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Forgetbowdoc, Chad. He's been spouting the exact same anti-traditional nonsense on the bowhunting and technical forums practically from the first day he joined the site. He's right, everyone else is wrong.You know what I'm saying.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm not saying a recurve won't kill game. I'm just saying I love the way a fast compound pass through game faster and hits harder than a recurve. I have gotten a lot of pass through s with a recurve. Its the ones that I didn't that I didn't like. I have always taken three are four deer a year and maybe a bull elk are a bear to if I was lucky. I'm no stranger when it come to a recurve are a compound. I all ways could tune them up to shoot through a key hole. It wasn't me I could put arrows in a pop can all day long out to 40 yards with a recurve. I talked to Fred once at a archery shop and he told me he would never shoot a elephant again with his bow that had to follow it for days before it died. He mostly shot 65 lbs and was a snap shooter, but he would be aiming his arrow from the start of his draw, He tried the compound and loved them, but couldn't shoot as will with them because he was a snap shooter. He told me that him self

Arthur: They always say a old fox will smell his own hole first

Old 01-31-2008, 05:31 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My point was simply that if a 70-75# recurve will bury an arrow up in an elephant, 65# will shoot through any deer on the planet--pending we do our part correctly.

Put a broadhead through a deer's lungs, it's going down--doesn't matter if the arrow is travelling 150 fps or 300 fps, the deer is just as dead.

Chad
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started to have a penetration problem with my 65 lb. recruve and 2216 and tried every thing.
I'm not following that sentence. According to what was written, I would assume that at one time you didn't have penetration problems with your recurve, but then started to have problems. What changed?

I do know that Ashby does lists items in order inhis recent TBM article on what effects penetration. If I remember correctlyarrow integrity (the ability to remain intact) was number one and arrow flight was number two above all else, even above arrow weight and broadhead type.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking bowdoc wasn't pulling his recurve all the way back when he didn't get hardly any penetration. Target panic? Bowdoc, you can't blame the bow! Take it upon yourself and fix the problem you are having instead of making up excuses.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM

I shoot both but the compound is to easy and thier is no fun anymore it's way to easy to be accurate with a compound.But the skill and talent that you need for the traditional way makes you feel like you are back in the old days in Sherwood Forest,I will never give up my longbow. and I have started my kids out with traditional,hope they feel the the same desire for it as I do.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I've always shot traditionalfor 45 years. Two years ago my wife bought a nice compound for me, complete with sights, whisker biscuit, CX arrows, release and all. I have to use it to hunt with Suburban Whitetail Management of Northern Virginia but I don't like it. I have about a dozen traditional bows that I hunt and shoot most of the time, they are so much more fun. AND they loook maaavalous...lol

Here's some.

My first 2 compound kills ever and a double at that!