Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

ORIGINAL: hatchet jack

I still shoot both. I will say I hunted with the recurve most of the time last year. I can see myself going full time stick in the near future. They are real hard to put down once you start shooting them!

Hatchet Jack
I hear ya Jack!!!!!!! You got that right, I can't put mine down! I'm either shooting it, holding it or staring at it! I wuv my bow too....[8D]
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 AM

I, like many archers, have made the loop (starting traditional, going compound, then back to traditional). From the simplicity of one string, glove/tab; to the complex pulleys, cables, releases, and sights have given many the experience of traditionaland modern day archery. I admire archers who haveexperiencedthe recurve, longbow, and compound bows and have enjoyed the differences of each style. To me,traditional archery is very challenging where as compound archery is speed and technology. All styles and forms of archery arebasedfrom ancient archery traditions.An ancient sport for different archers to enjoywhatever style or bow they choose to employ.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

have a collection of Oneida bows going back to the H250's & forward to the Stealth aka Black Eagle...
I've owned and shot trad bows a lot longer than that...
but I haven't touched one of the Oneida's in about eight years...
Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

i've been shooting compounds since i was legally allowed to hunt with them.
however i plan on making my 1st Selfbow soon
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 PM

I havn't shot a compound since I picked up my first recurve. Just havn't had the desire.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 AM

Been trad only for 3 seasons, but I'm thinking of getting a compound again for those times when I just dont have time to shoot daily.

I just don't have the discipline to keep shooting daily as the season drags on and I don't feel comfortable shooting at game without regular practice with the trad gear.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just don't have the discipline to keep shooting daily as the season drags on

Personally, during the season, most of practice is done right from my stand before I get down (bring some pactice arrows), on the walk in at stumps. etc, before I leave home (in the basement), or during lunch (we are either using a van or pickup during hunting season, so hauling a target is no big thing). I am with you though,if I can't practice during the season, I'd have areal hard time.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

edit: never mind.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I like to be multi functional. I was an all around athlete as well in school. I couldnt pick just one sport. I make, shoot, and hunt with my trad bows, same as my compounds. I can never just settle with doing one thing. Im now starting to look into making atlatls and eventually hog hunting with one. I guess time will tell.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm a old man and have taken lots of game with a recurve. I shot one from 1965 to about 1975 I was one of the last to go to the compound in my group. I won My first big PAA tournament as a pro in 1970. I had a hard time shooting a compound at first and shot a 70 lbs. I could shoot the lights out with it, but had a hard time getting off the string clean with my fingers. It about 1985 I went back to a long bow and a recurve for about 4 years. I had to make a change I was winning every thing I shot at and was killing lots of deer every year and needed a change to keep things interesting. It didn't work I was still was winning most of the 3D shoots and that's when we still competed with the compound shooters. I had the highest score ever shot on are 3D range bare bow 536 out of a 560 at compound stakes. I started to have a penetration problem with my 65 lb. recruve and 2216 and tried every thing. When I lost a couple deer with good hits and I found one later that I had made a good hit on. The arrow only got one lung and it went about 3/4 of a mile it blew my mind . I went back to the compound and picked up a bow companies as a sponsor again right away after a couple of tournaments. I'm hunting with fast, hard hitting 65 lb compound, use a release and blowing through every thing I shoot now. I still love to shoot a recurve and still shoot can shoot very good with one. I have no problems with bowhunters that use one for hunting as long as they can hit with it, I seen some that can't hit the side of a house and lose lots of deer every year. When it comes to my hunting I will use my compound and not look back.

Quick Reply: Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.