Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

I'm approaching about as extreme as you can get with both........I am competitive on a National level in 3D with a compound, and might try it with a recurve next.
As it stands now I'm becoming quite proficient with traditional gear, and will split all of my archery seasons between both types of bows to be able to enjoy both.
It will be the recurve or longbow for PA's hunting seasons, Compound for IL bow season, and then compete with the compound in 3D with the traditional gear for fun shoots.

I might be spending 2hrs one day working on 3rd axis leveling and pin gaps with the compound and 2hrs the next day trying to figure out why I'm shooting a little right at 20 with my Black Widow recurve.

I can tell you this, done right and not overdoing it the traditional shooting has helped my compound shooting by strengthening the stabilizing muscles in my shoulders, back and arms.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just traditional for me.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Just trad for me, wheel bows have too many moving parts for my taste, and way too many things that can go wrong with them. And talk about expensive...[&:] I wuv my recurve.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mainly shoot trad. I build and shoot selfbows. I have recurves and longbows as well I just prefer ones I have made myself. I made my quiver, Rivercane arrows and obsidian heads, put turkey feathers on them too, and my string,,.....just about anything I can make I do.

I do own several compounds however. My first bow (and the one I used for my first deer and first buck too.) I retired that years ago though. I do have a PSE team Fitzgerald nova I picked up at Walmart for $100 years ago. Shoots good and I can put the arrows in a silver dollar at 40 yards everytime I pick it up. Which isn't very often.

I usualy start the year with my selfbows. Towards the rut I sometimes get out the compound for the added range and when I don't have time to practice with my selfbow. I have been known to bowhunt with my selfbow through gun season though. This year I used my selfbow until therut then switched to compoundthen in shotgun season I took it out. I hunt with what I feel comfortable with and have let many deer, including some nice bucks, walk when I had the trad gear that I could have taken with a compound. Made me think but I never regreted it.

Trad is just to fun not to shoot but entering the woods I believe you owe it to the animals you hunt to know your limitations and stick by them. This goes for whatever you carry.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot both but lately ive been leaning more and more to using my trad gear for most of next season.

Shooting form does not really seem to have a big factor, since i look at the two types of equpitment as completly different and study both of them different. But then again, there is a reason our baseball coach wouldnt let us golf during season....
Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot both. Can't get into the crossbow thing though. Just love the magical flight of the arrow as Uncle Ted would say.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I started with trad gear back in the late 70s early 80s, took up a compound in the early 80s, and still use both. All depends on my mood. Some times I dont get to practice as much as id like. Like this year, I didnt get to shoot much during the summer or before season opened, so I pulled out my compound (since a compound is pretty much a pick up and hold tight groups bow) and shot my first deer with it. On my spare time, I got back to practicing and took out the recurve and tagged my next three deer with it.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gobblegetterNY

But then again, there is a reason our baseball coach wouldnt let us golf during season....
For me playing ball, specifically softball, had much more of an impact on my golf game than vice versa. The swings are in totally different planes. I had been playing ball so long by the time I picked up golf that the ball swing was natural, whereas the golf swing wasn't.

Bill
Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just 'curves and longbows for me-haven't picked up a compound in about 15yrs
Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still shoot both. I will say I hunted with the recurve most of the time last year. I can see myself going full time stick in the near future. They are real hard to put down once you start shooting them!

Hatchet Jack

Quick Reply: Do you shoot both a traditional and compound?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.