Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

aiming a traditional bow

Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default aiming a traditional bow

can some one explain the proper form and way of aiming a traditional bow ? I shoot a coumpond but was curious as to what is the way to shoot a traditional bow
Old 01-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: aiming a traditional bow

there are so many variables, but I'll try to give you my insight.

I started hunting w/recurve in the 60's, switched to compound in early 70's, now back to recurve. My thoughts on the subject will be strictly for recurve.

Do you cant the bow slightly when drawing it? I'm right handed, and I cant the bow slightly to the right, maybe 5*. How are your fingers positioned on the string. Three fingers under the arrow, sliding it up to meet the knocking point, Apache style? This allows you to site directly down the shaft aligning the point on the target. This method works reasonably well at short yardage. I prefer two fingers under, one over, causing a lower anchoring point.

When sighting the bow, I like the bow in my left hand, with my left arm bent about 45* in front of my body,with the right fingers simply placed on the string. When I first begin to draw, I start by pushing the bow slightly forward towards the target, then drawing the string to the anchor point. This method, for me, begins the alignment phase and creates a two point aiming system. I stress that this works for ME.

Consistantcy in anchoring is crucial to any accuracy issues, but more important, practice. I shoot strictly instictive{ no sights }. I practice A LOT, which needs to be done whether you shoot w/sights or not, but especially if instinctive. Shoot for several days, at first, no farther than five yards. Get used to where the point of the arrow is when drawn in relationship to where it strikes the target. Adjust where to hold accordingly.

An excellent guide to shooting stick bows, as well as shooting instinctive is Howard Hill's " hunting the hard way ", if you can find it. Chuck Adams also has a great book on instictive shooting. Both stress the need to pick a VERY mi-nute spot on the target your shooting, whether on the range or in the woods.

I am far from an expert, and stress that I have found what works for me! Additionally, I NEVER shoot over 25 yards.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I explain it to people as: Exactly like pointing your finger at something. You can point your finger directly at a target without aiming. It's no accident that traditional bows have the arrow resting right above your hand.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 AM
bigcountry

Honestly, just starring at spot you want to hit, imagineing in your head the flight path, invisioning it before you shoot. And while drawing back to hit your anchor point, keep starring at that spot intensely, keep drawing until you hit that anchor, and and keep drawing that elbw until its almost straight wtihthe arrow, and let it rip.

Thats it. You don't aim when you throw a foot ball or cast a lure do ya?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use The Force, Luke! [8D]

I think it's best to start with a gap aiming system, as described by Hill, Schultz or Byron Ferguson. As you get more experienced, you start paying less and less attention to the gap, until you've finally become an instinctive shooter. Then when you change to a different bow or arrows, you can fall back on the gap to figure out how the change affected your aim and get yourself back on track again.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Honestly, just starring at spot you want to hit, imagineing in your head the flight path, invisioning it before you shoot. And while drawing back to hit your anchor point, keep starring at that spot intensely, keep drawing until you hit that anchor, and and keep drawing that elbw until its almost straight wtihthe arrow, and let it rip.

Thats it. You don't aim when you throw a foot ball or cast a lure do ya?
Good post Bigcountry! Its called instinctive shooting for a reason IMO! Its all insticts and concentrating on that small particular spot your looking at on the target or animal.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Excellent posts, guys. You've covered all aspects of shooting instinctively. I only want to add that you might want to begin shooting up close (7 to 10 yds), then gradually move back to where you feel comfortable and accurate.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Good post Bigcountry! Its called instinctive shooting for a reason IMO! Its all insticts and concentrating on that small particular spot your looking at on the target or animal.
Every miss so far I have had on an animal, I was looking at the vitals and not picking a spot.

Something so easy can be so hard.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Every miss so far I have had on an animal, I was looking at the vitals and not picking a spot.

Something so easy can be so hard.
Its an easy mistake to do. Been there done that too.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

are you cross domianant in your vision ?

that will dictate whether you will/can use a sighting technique. if you are cross dominant you cannot sight.

Quick Reply: aiming a traditional bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.