Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurve options

Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Recurve options

I now shoot a Massie Longbow (shoots great)but are interested in buying a recurve...[/align]I have narrowed my option to a Black Widow or a Bob Lee.[/align]Any comments on ether bow and also between takedown and one piece.[/align]Its known that the best option is to try them all and then make a decision but i live in Mexico and don't have dealers here so have to buy online and don't have the opportunity to try them out, what is my best bet!!??[/align]
Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Recurve options

Between the two, I would say a Widow. IMO,Smoother, faster and more quiet. Take down, if you travel alot, or if you want to get extra limbs in a different weight. For the amount of money for either one there are more options as well. Ancient Spirits, Morrison, Robertson, Shaffer Silver tip. All great bows.

What type of Massey do you shoot. Mine is a 62" Longhorn 55@27 with western diamond back snake skins on the back. Bacote riser and limbs with bamboo vaneers.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks I will check them out, I was alsoe recommended a Palmer have any info on those. [/align]My Massie is a Longhorn 55# at 28 and is 62"[/align]Tried to post a pic but was not able to do so.[/align]
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Palmer makes good bows also. Very similar to Bob Lee bows in some ways, actually worked with Lee for some years before going off on his own. But he has a bit different limb design that some say gives a bit better performance than Bob Lee.

I shot in the group in front of Palmer at the '89 Texas Field Archery Association State Championships. He got kind of miffed at me when I asked him about his Bob Lee bow. Palmer informed me in no uncertain terms that it was not a Bob Lee, that he himself was the bowyer, and he looked exceedinglyinsulted by my question.Well, it wasn't MY fault! The bow looked like almost exactly like a Lee but I never knewLee to use the kind of wood the bow was made from.Still one of the most embarrassing moments I ever had on an archery range.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Thanks Arthur I will make my decision on ether one of those two. Since I don't have the opportunity to shoot them y will go with pricing and the one I like best in looks...
Not the optimal way of choosing a bow but I guess I cant go wrong with ether one of them.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't think you could go wrong in any of the recurves you mentioned. It's just tough telling you which one would be best for you.

You may want to consider the used route. That way, if you decide that you do not like that particular bow, you could always sell it and probably recoup all or at least most of your cost.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Good idea i will take a lookat the pre-owned options. Anyotherplaces to lookbesides e-bay? "This because in Mexico there are very little options".[/align]Thanks.[/align]
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

PM'd you..